Walk in Showers - No Doors

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by chefwong, Sep 13, 2011.

1. chefwong

chefwong New Member

I'm doing a quick google on tiled showers.....and unless my eyes are playing tricks, I am seeing some really nice custom showers but no doors if not a shower rod in sight.

Showers are a very Wet environment.

Am I missing something but are walk in showers being built - designed - without nary a door or liner to ~enclose~ the water overspray ?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Yes, but it takes some careful designwork to ensure no problems. Personally, the draft can be a problem. One of the neatest is one of the kits by Wedi - its a free-standing scroll.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You might be seeing ad photos which conveniently omit the door for the sake of the photo. But larger "open plan" bathrooms are somewhat in vogue. I actually have seen several hotels built like that overseas ( Asia). You would want a well done floor with floor drain.
  4. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

No Door Showers in Toronto - Quick Drain USA

[​IMG]

Here is a peak at a great project in Toronto. The shower features a linear drain from Quick Drain USA (Wave Grill) and was built by Ronny Wiskin, President & Founder

Reliable Independent Living Services®
    RILS Franchise Corp.
    1 Yonge Street, Suite 902
    Toronto, Ontario M5E 1E5

Tel: 416-502-9200
    Cel: 416-807-9773
    Fax: 416-345-9044

Email: ronnywiskin@reliableliving.com
    Web: www.reliableliving.com

Many times the tile setter gets the last picture - before the glass order goes in to showcase his work. I would imagine this shower will get a single fixed pane of glass to shield the toilet from shower spray and no door so it's easier to enter the shower. Ronny's team specializes in barrier free showers (LIKE ME!) and he and his crew do a fantastic job at it.

Here is a peak at another barrier free project I build years back in UBC - Vancouver. No door and wonderful glass block walls. Removing curbs also helps with traffic flow sometimes but more importantly reduces the tripping hazzards in a shower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a tiny master en-suite with heated floors, heated towel warmers and extremely well insulated walls and ceiling.

I have not installed one yet but I have seen "Body Warmers / Body Dryers" that can be installed in showers if you need a little more warmth or a little help drying off.

JW
  5. rectangular floorplan is better than square, for any shower. This is also easier to make into a doorless shower: just make the rectangle longer.
  6. johnfrwhipple

I'm having good luck with the linear drain installs and for what ever reason we are getting a lot of Neo-Angle requests. I have a new twist on the Neo Angle almost done up in North Vancouver that will show case a Trapazoid shaped linear drain at the entry.

Never done one like this - how hard can it be!!! LOL

Fingers crossed, so far so good.

[​IMG]

Here is a doorless shower in Toronto built by Reliable Independent Living Services® - That is the new Square Hole Schluter Line Drain against the wall.

JW
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  7. johnfrwhipple

Doorless Shower Inspiration - Showers with no doors

[​IMG]

Shower Drain by ACO

This is one of my most favourite bathrooms. The drain is by ACO and the linear drain features the Rainbow LED light kit.

Love love love this shower!

Here is another favourite shower of mine from Spain;

[​IMG]

Shower Design and Build by Broekman & Olivera
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011