Walk-in bathtub reversed drain

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by gethammer, Nov 27, 2011.

1. gethammer

gethammer New Member

Hello,
    I am a newbee to the forum, but here goes: I am installing a walk-in bathtub that requires me to reverse the handing of the tub and drain. By design, there is about 3" of space between the bathroom floor and the floor of the bathtub to run a 1-1/2" drain pipe. The drain/vent assembly I have is a cable operated schd 40 pvc ending with a sanitary tee. The floor is a concrete slab.
    My 2 questions are:
    1. Can I run directly from the new tub drain to the existing ptrap from the old tub, about 46" of run with about 3/4" pitch?
    2. Has anyone seen a drain/vent that points horizontal towards the back of the tub?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

That would mean you've created a "running trap", so no.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Most of those tubs are basically "portable" units and as such their drain setups SELDOM are installed the same as a "regular tub", which is why they make provision for a "makeshift" drain and water connection.
  4. gethammer

gethammer New Member

The installation I am doing will be as permanent as the original bathtub that was removed. I suppose the standard way to install the drain line would be to cut open the slab, extend the drain and vent lines to the new drain location. I was just asking if running 46" laterally before dropping into the original ptrap is acceptable? Will the drain operation be affected? The bathtub is designed to be retrofit inplace of a standard 5ft tub space. the need to reverse the drain is to allow tub door access when other fixtures are close by.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A drain line often collects junk on the walls. Stuff like soap scum, oils, hair, lint, etc. This can get pretty nasty as it festers, grows mold, and decomposes. You don't really want a 46" long pipe collecting that sort of stuff. The trap blocks those smells from coming back into the room. If it is like 4' away, there's a lot of room for it to accumulate...you want the trap much closer.
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Don't mistake the overflow assembly for a vent. A plumbing vent to prevent trap siphoning must be installed downstream of the trap.

Normally a bathtub drain is only 1-1/2", which means the vent for the trap cannot be 5' away. Moving the drain will mean moving the trap and the vent through the roof.