Wacky trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ken Rhodes

Reaction score
Hello, I am noticing several areas of concern with plumbing recently installed by a contractor. I hope to get a better understanding of the work they completed. For example the main line connects to the stack but runs uphill the whole way to the stack. (seems gravity would not work) . The new lines for sink, washer and toilet have no vents installed up the walls of the new addition. Are they necessary? Also here is a picture of the washing machine line. Am I missing something or is there no trap on this? Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• trap.JPG
    trap.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
When you say stack, do you mean the big vertical that continues up to the roof?

When you say main line, do you mean the pipe that continues outside?

What is above the place that you show? The trap for a washer standpipe is required to be above the floor.

It is not clear to me where you think water is being required to go uphill in your photo.

Is there any chance that the pipe you show is a vent line? If it is not, I am thinking a cleanout may be required, but I don't know. I know some requirements vary from place to place. http://plumbingengineer.com/content/code-requirements-drainage-system-cleanouts has some rules, but I am not adept in interpreting them.

I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

Ken Rhodes

Reaction score
When you say stack, do you mean the big vertical that continues up to the roof?

When you say main line, do you mean the pipe that continues outside?

What is above the place that you show? The trap for a washer standpipe is required to be above the floor.

It is not clear to me where you think water is being required to go uphill in your photo.

Is there any chance that the pipe you show is a vent line? If it is not, I am thinking a cleanout may be required, but I don't know. I know some requirements vary from place to place. http://plumbingengineer.com/content/code-requirements-drainage-system-cleanouts has some rules, but I am not adept in interpreting them.

I am not a plumber.

Here are some shots to help me better explain as plumbing is foreign to me. The first shot is the washer hookup with drainpipe down. The shot I previously posted is what it looks like under the floor. The pipe hits the cement wall and makes that sideways turn but no typical trap. The second shot shows the new half bath area with toilet and sink. There is no venting coming up the wall for these new devices. The old part of the home (1889) has one small vent through the side wall. The next two shots are of the new plumbing coming out of the addition but running at a negative pitch to the stack in the last picture, which also appears to be rather questionable.

Attachments

• IMG_4178-X2.jpg
    IMG_4178-X2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4174-X2.jpg
    IMG_4174-X2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20130604_104642_858-X2.jpg
    IMG_20130604_104642_858-X2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20130604_104700_707-X2.jpg
    IMG_20130604_104700_707-X2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 201

Reach4

Reaction score
You answered the third of three questions with two of your photos. The standpipe for the washer is plumbed wrong.

Are you saying that the right end of the big pipe on the upper right of this one is higher than the left end? (lets call that pipe X.) If so, that would be wrong.

index.php

I guess https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_20130604_104642_858-x2-jpg.31624/ is to show the continuation of pipe X. What is on the right end of pipe X?

I see what appears two sewer penetrations from the basement to your septic tank. I wonder why they did not feed pipe X to the other exit. Maybe one goes to a dry well or some place other than the septic tank.

Ken Rhodes

Reaction score
You answered the third of three questions with two of your photos. The standpipe for the washer is plumbed wrong.

Are you saying that the right end of the big pipe on the upper right of this one is higher than the left end? (lets call that pipe X.) If so, that would be wrong.

index.php

I guess https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_20130604_104642_858-x2-jpg.31624/ is to show the continuation of pipe X. What is on the right end of pipe X?

I see what appears two sewer penetrations from the basement to your septic tank. I wonder why they did not feed pipe X to the other exit. Maybe one goes to a dry well or some place other than the septic tank.

Ken Rhodes

Reaction score
Thank you for confirming the question about the trap and pipe. It is what I was guessing but wanted other opinions. You are correct. The second exit is a gray line that only comes from the kitchen and old utility sink and does not enter the tank. As for pipe X, correct again...it slopes with negative pitch. What I should also dig up is the photos from under the old house. That same pipe x, makes 4 different 90 degree turns while it snakes it's way to the addition, all the while still working with negative pitch.

Ken Rhodes

Reaction score
On the surface, and without being able to see the entire job, it appears he was NOT a "plumber".
I'm in agreement with you on that. It appears that there are several issues that will need to be dealt with.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm sorry that your guy didn't understand anything about plumbing.

The washer needs venting, and a p-trap above the floor.
It should have been a 2" waste line, 2" p-trap, and a 1.5" vent for the p-trap.

When you have a vertical going to a horizontal, it's a long sweep or 45 combination. Not a santee.
Grade is 1/4" per foot.

The sink sometimes will vent the toilet, but for that to happen, the sink needs to be vented, above the trap arm, not below.

Ken Rhodes

Reaction score
I'm sorry that your guy didn't understand anything about plumbing.

The washer needs venting, and a p-trap above the floor.
It should have been a 2" waste line, 2" p-trap, and a 1.5" vent for the p-trap.

When you have a vertical going to a horizontal, it's a long sweep or 45 combination. Not a santee.
Grade is 1/4" per foot.

The sink sometimes will vent the toilet, but for that to happen, the sink needs to be vented, above the trap arm, not below.
Thank you for the feedback and information! It is greatly appreciated! :) Everyone has given very specific information which will be helpful in getting the plumbing correct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks