VISTA...again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I use software to upload the data from my bloodsugar meter for graphing and anaylysis.

With the new VISTA computer, I had to redownload the software, which worked. I need a serial to USB adapter for the connection, and the old one did not work. Bought a new Keyspan USA-19HS, and downloaded their VISTA driver. No joy. Keyspan has excellent tech support, and the solution is this: the setup does not work if connected to a USB port on the keyboard, or a port on the front of the tower, or a USB hub; it only works if connected directly to a USB port on the back of the tower.

I am good now, but if anyone can explain the ins and outs of this USB situation, I am interested.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
The reason being, is that if the USB or Universal Serial Bus has more then one device on it, that bus will be overloaded. A way around this, is to add a PCI USB2.x card in the machine, and then you do not have to worry about running out of USB interfaces.

I have the same problem with our GPS unit. If connected to our powered USB Hub, it does not work, but if connected to the front of the machine it connects.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks, I am starting to get it. I have 6 USB ports on the computer....4 on the back and 2 on the front panel. Is it the case that the 2 on the front are "piggy-backed" off the rear ones?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Jimbo said:
Is it the case that the 2 on the front are "piggy-backed" off the rear ones?

Not usually - you can open the case and follow the wiring. But there are usually separate ports on the motherboard. In some cases, all the ports are not enabled in the BIOS. But if this is a manufactured computer, the ports should all work.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Depending on what type and how old of a pc you have, the fronts can be usb 1.1 and the backs can be 2.0. So some devices will work and some won't especially in vista which IMO until next year won't be worth installing due to bugs.

Now you might try the following and see if it works for you. Plug a device into one of the front usb ports then open device manager by clicking start, control panel, system tab and you'll see the device manager. After you open device manager scroll down to the usb section and look for a yellow exclamation mark. Right click the unknown device then click on properties and choose reinstall or update driver then just follow the directions to update your driver and see if that solves your problem.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks all for taking the time to look at my problem.

It is a branny spankin new HP Pavillion, with bells and whistles I will never understand. When troubleshooting with tech support from Keyspan ( the serial adapter company ) we determined that the port was seeing the adapter, but data just wouldn't move correctly. Keyspan reports a known bug or workaround about this issue of front ports vs rear ports. I never really found out if this is related to the tower itself, to the usb/serial adapter, or to the serial device ( blood glucose monitor) and its software.

I am up and running in the backside port, so I just have to live with the situation and am not losing any sleep!

I have always uploaded photos successfully through a hub, but always had trouble printing to my Kodak printer dock. I suspect it is the same issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks