village won't allow me

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by v1rtu0s1ty, May 29, 2007.

1. v1rtu0s1ty

v1rtu0s1ty DIY Senior Member

Ok folks. This morning, I contacted the village just to inquire about the second water line. It's because, our sewer is billed against water usage. I hate it.

Anyways, he asked me why I would like and told him that I want to have an irrigation system. He told me that I'm not allowed to put it myself. It's against the Illinois law. He told me that I need to hire someone who is licensed. However, I'm more comfortable doing it myself plus with the help I will be getting from this forum. And also, I would be able to save labor cost.

What should I do? Is it really against the law of Illinois?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I can't speak to Illinois laws, it does seem a bit restrictive, but you have to follow the local laws. It would seem reasonable to allow a homeowner to install the system but to require inspection before it could be used. The subject of water charges for yard usage has been discussed before, and it seems there are many ways it is handled by different authorities. In my area, the meter is read every two months. When water is being used for irrigation, the city uses the meter reading taken in the dead of winter as a base rate upon which the sewer charge is levied. That means in the summer, while I have to pay for the water I use, I do not pay sewage on the amount of water used above that base rate. It's still costly, but the water is clean and in good supply whenever I want it. My backflow preventer has to be re-certified annually by a licensed technician.
  3. v1rtu0s1ty

Does anyone know where I can find about laws in IL?

Thanks!
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Actually, it is most likely your local village or town that sets the laws. They can make more strict regulations than the state if they want to. You need to check with the code enforcement agency in your village. If there is none in the village, then your county would have the authority.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Go to your local library and ask the reference desk for help. Codes and local ordinances and state laws should be available for you. Read up on your own.
  6. v1rtu0s1ty

Great! I will do that tomorrow.

Thanks!
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

At a minimum, if they allow homeowners to do plumbing they probably require a permit, and probably have strict specs on backflow prevention, so you would have to find out what they require.
  8. v1rtu0s1ty

Yes, they told me that a permit is required for $200. Fortunately, it's refundable. And also, they do require backflow preventer.

I'm hoping that he'll call me tomorrow and allow me to install it myself. However, I may need to hire someone to install a new separate line for the irrigation.