Vikrell Versus Acrylic

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Bob H, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Bob H

Bob H New Member

I am starting a 2 bathroom remodel on a second floor condo built on pilings 400 feet from the Atlantic Ocean.
    I am going to use either a Sterling All Pro Vikrell tub Model # 61041110 30x60x15 and a Sterling Ensamble Vikrell shower base #72121100 48x34x 4.5 with center drain.They both will be mounted in a mortar bed.
    My second choice would be a Lasco Acrylic tub # 6030AIS 30x60x17 and a Lasco #4834 APANB Acrylic center drain shower pan both mounted in Structolite. Both bathrooms walls and floors will be tiled to a cement type board.
    Since the building moves due to wind etc. I am open for any and all suggestions.
    I am also seeking the answer to the frequent asked question, which is better Vikrell or Acrylic? Please respond. Bob H.

2. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Master Plumber

Sensitivity trainer...to be caring and loving to a
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    go with the sterling

sterling is much more durable
    much nicer unit....

[​IMG]

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    sterling

I am not sure what is meant by "sturdier", but the Sterling tubs and showers I have had to install for customers have ALL been the thinnest, lightest material I have ever worked with. One tub was so light that a teenager could have carried it on his shoulder. In that case it was a benefit, because it had to be inserted and removed several times to get everything to fit properly, but I would NEVER furnish one if I had to give any kind of guarantee for the installation.