Vikrell shower pans--advice??

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by alicia725, Mar 2, 2008.

1. alicia725

alicia725 New Member

Everything I have read is that acrylic is the best for shower pans...but what about this new Vikrell by sterling/kohler? Is it comparable or is it prone to cracking and aging very quickly? Anyone have any experience with the Vikrell shower pans? I am apprehensive about buying one if its fairly new to the market.

Alicia
  2. macwnj

macwnj New Member

I, too would like to know more about this material....Sterling makes tubs and surrounds out of it, too.
  3. Nate R

Nate R New Member

4. macwnj

macwnj New Member

I've hit the Sterling website and watched their videos on this material. All pieces are molded from a single piece of material. Most of the information relates to installation, which looks much easier than the procedure for a cast iron tub. I have seen this product at Lowe's and it feels more substantial than any of the other non-metal tubs. And there's a ten-year warranty. Kohler's warranty on cast iron tubs does not cover scratches to the finish...only defects in the manufacturing. I would like to know more about its performance as a finished installation, e.g., how well does the finish hold up over time, and how easy is it to clean...what products are safe to use and which ones are not. I have to make a decision very soon, and am still very much undecided.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Cleaning and maintenance things should be covered in the user manual, which you can probably access on their site. If not, a call to customer service is in order...