Vigoro vs Scotts

Discussion in 'Lawn Care/Landscaping' started by greenbaypackersfan, Apr 15, 2010.

1. greenbaypackersfan

greenbaypackersfan New Member

Just curious here and want to ask some experts here on LAWN FERTILIZERS.

Last year, I used Vigoro Super Green Lawn Fertilizer and the results were fantastic. Not only it makes the lawn green, it actually made it super DARK green and can visually see the difference between neighbor's lawn and mine. I love the product and it was definitely cheaper than the Scott's brand.

vigoro_super_green.jpg

However, Vigoro does not have the 4 step treatments like Scott's. Scotts has the pre-emergent, spring, summer, fall/winter which is easy to buy. Where as Vigoro, I would always use the same bag for the entire year. Even though the lawn was green with Vigoro, I had some weed invasions.

Starting this year, I began trying out Scott's and noticed the color of my lawn isn't as DARK (green) as when I used Vigoro. Perhaps it's still early in the spring.... ( I live in New Jersey) or it's the product from Vigoro that makes the color different...

What are your thoughts between the 2 brand? I'd love to stay with Vigoro, but I don't welcome the weed invasions.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
  2. Firemark

Firemark New Member

I thought I saw the Vigoro in Spring with the crabgrass preventer available. As for weed control, use the Weedbgone with a hose end sprayer. You only have to do this once in May before it gets too hot. If you have a large lawn get the concentrate bottle and a separate hose end spray bottle with an adjustable dial but make sure you use the proper setting. Too much will kill your lawn not to mention pets, wildlife, etc.

The Dark green you notice isn't really the best sign of a healthy lawn, just the chemical makeup of the fertilzer(compare the middle number listed on the bags). You could actually be putting too much down leading to ground water pollution. NJ had a very wet summer last year so you may have had a break using 4 heavy applications. Fertilizer and hot dry weather don't mix very well so be careful with the mid-summer application.
  3. tate16t

tate16t New Member

Can I use Vigoro Lawn Weed Control two weeks after applying Scotts Turf Builder With Halts Crabgrass Preventer?
  4. Firemark

Firemark New Member

If it is ONLY weed control and contains no fertilizer, yes. Otherwise, choose a Weed Control product only.

vigoro_super_green_weed.jpg

Fertilizer and weed control
  5. tate16t

tate16t New Member

Thanks. I ended up getting Ortho Weed-B-Gone with the hose attachment sprayer. I was not able to find any opinions of Vigoro Lawn Weed Control online and the big box stores did not have it.

ortho_weed_begone.jpg
    Ortho Weed-B-Gone
  6. bigdog418

bigdog418 New Member

vigoro vs. scotts

For the most part, all manufacturers' weed and feed products are useless. They green up the lawn nice, but along with the lawn, they also green up the weeds. Whether it's Vigoro, Scotts or someone else, none of them work. Best bet is to get on your hands and knees and pull out each weed by hand - roots and all - because if you leave one root, next week it will be back. They should change the name of their weed and feed products to feed the weeds. I've never had bigger, stronger, more resilient, greener weeds than ever. And that goes for the liquid spray weed and feed products as well that you attach to your garden hose.............useless in killing weeds. If you use something like RoundUp, that leaves big brown splotches on your lawn. Weeds are like cockroaches - they are indestructible. Find a crack in your driveway or sidewalk, add one grain of dirt and in one week a weed seed will find it's way into the crack and grow. You don't have to water, fertilize, or do anything.......they just grow. They're............THE TERMINATOR. So...........if you don't want weeds, save the $50 on the weed killer and just pull them out. If you keep the receipts and upc labels from the bags, boxes, bottles of weed killer you purchased this year and found they don't work, write a letter to the mfgr and request a refund.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Find a crack in your driveway or sidewalk, add one grain of dirt and in one week a weed seed will find it's way into the crack and grow.

Actually, as I always tell people, "If you could get grass to grow as good on your lawn as it does on concrete sidewalks, you would ALWAYS have a beautiful lawn".
  8. MoneyMogul

MoneyMogul New Member

Actually both the Virgo and Scotts products are great at fertilizing your lawn. You will need to go back with a weed killer also. If you like the Virgo product you can use that in the Spring and Summer and use the Scotts in the Fall and Winter.
  9. Landscape Rock

Landscape Rock New Member

Fertilizer, pre-emergence, and post-emergence are all just chemicals. Look on the back of the bag and see what you're getting. Chemicals are chemicals and it doesn't matter whose name, scotts, vigoro, or ortho is on the bag as long as you know what you need to put in the lawn and the bag has it in it.