vibrating pipes - How to figure out root cause and fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tnkrer

Reaction score
When we flush or water the grass or start the washer .. the pipes vibrate. As long as water is flowing. When the washing stops or flush is done, vibrating stops. No vibration is heard for kitchen faucet, bathroom faucets, shower or even dishwasher. So when the water flow is above certain volume/speed it seems to vibrate. When reading about water hammer, it talked about when the valve is closed suddenly. The vibration does not happen after the water flow stops. So I am thinking its not water hammer?

Anyway, how can I go about finding and fixing the problem?

Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A PRV would be somewhere after the water meter and most likely would be your responsibility. I've never been to your house so I can't really say where it would be but I would look in the basement (if you have one) near the water meter. Sometimes they are plumbed after the outside hose bibs but not often. If you replace it and the noise goes away, that will confirm it is a bad PRV.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you have a PRV and you can locate it, then turn on something that causes the sound and feel the PRV. If it is vibrating that is the source of the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks