Veteran's Home Needs Major Assistance

Users who are viewing this thread

Joshua H.

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Josh and I am writing you today because I'm having a major issue. I'm with an Organization which houses Disabled and Homeless Veterans in Northern Dallas.

We have recently started workin on a house that we will turn into one of the many homes for Disabled and Homeless Veterans. Im currently residing in it as I work on the house daily. However, we are having major plumbing issues.

The toilet used to flush and every sink and drain released air every time the handle was pushed down. Thats when there wasnt any issues. Then all the sudden one day the toilet would fill up and the tub would actually fill with waste it seems. So first we went to the local hardware store and bought liquid acid (hot powder) and poured it down the drains. No resolve. We also went to the roof and stuck a long stick and water down it. As well as poured more acid. So we removed the toilet and stuck both a metal 50' snake and a 50' auger down the line. We worked on it for 2 days. Finally one day we went to pull the auger out and it release and you heard it in the tub and the bathroom sink release air. It worked just fine. Still making bubbling sounds but we could live with it if it's working. Until it stopped working again yesterday. Now the tub is full of particles and the toilet won't flush/fill properly.

I don't know what to do. We have been dumping every penny we have in this house for electrical, insulation, etc. We are completely broke at this time so we can't pay for a plumber.

I can't even take a shower this morning because of this.

Please help with any ideas.

*UPDATE* I just put the hose down the air vent and let it run for awhile. It has come out of the drain of the tub and is filling the tub. I still can't flush the toilet properly either. I'm sure why. Just giving out the information.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think you need to quit pouring acid down drains in a retirement home and call in someone that has the tools to clear that, and the ability.
Right now, you're just spinning your wheels and endangering people.
Personally, I don't own that kind of equipment, because I don't like using it. I call in someone that does.
I've done it, and I didn't like it. I'm glad not to wear a page anymore and run that snake out to people's homes.

Joshua H.

Reaction score
Umm this house isn't a retirement home. It's for combat related disabilities and homelessness. The chemicals were never an issue as they always went do the drain and rinsed out. No one lived in this house for 5 years before it was donated to us so we have been picking up the pieces and just thought old crap was in the system.

As for a recent update. I have had the city out here. They do believe that it is in the main from the sewer to the house. I shoved a 50 ft snake down the access port into the ground. When they get back from lunch. They will probe it and I will have to dig. At that point. They will use 1000psi and blow it out towards the street. Hopefully I don't have to dig all the way up to the house to find the clog. Or the fact we might have a collapsed pipe.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A camera check will show you what's in the line. You may be able to get a complimentary check, if the plumber does the work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks