Vessel sinks and plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Is there anything I need to know before purchasing a vessel sink? I am looking at few on the Kohler site for a small vanity (24") that is counter height. Is plumbing very different for vessel sinks? Am I better off with a self rimmed sink?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Vessel sink? That's a new term to me. Are you talking about a sink to be put into a big boat?

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
A wall mount sounds lovely to me, but when sharing a home with youngsters there tends to be a need for storage so I can't get rid of the vanity. We're buying a small vanity and hoping to get a sink that goes on top (vessel), but I don't know if the plumbing is very different and how time consuming that might be for plumbers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You often need a non-standard height vanity to hold a vessel sink, otherwise it ends up being too high for normal people.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Aw now.. that ain't no boat sink... that's one of dem fancy new fandangled face bowls! Ahhhh...but I have been enlightened :)

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Randyj said:
Aw now.. that ain't no boat sink... that's one of dem fancy new fandangled face bowls! Ahhhh...but I have been enlightened :)

I do aim to please:p

Non-standard in the sense of lower or higher? This one is a bit taller than your standard vanities Jim.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

Lower. It is going to sit on top of the countertop so it is going to be higher by whatever the depth of the sink is. Also, you either need a high gooseneck faucet mounted at the side, or a wall mounted faucet to reach over its rim.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
They used vessel sinks in the 1800s. They came with a ewer and the nearest window served as both the drain and vent.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wow dudes/dudettes.... I'm getting some major serious bodacious enlightenment here!:)

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Vessel sinks

A "vessel sink" is simply a bowl with a hole in the bottom for which the manufacturer charges you an exorbitant amount of money...
Installed 18 hand hammered copper ones with rubbed bronze finish in a spa here - at $1400 cost each... (labor and fixtures/faucets etc. NOT includced...-bowl only).
Looked nice in the end - but not for the money IMHO.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Okay, no vessel sinks for me. I can't justify the cost to have one of those babies.

For a 24" vanity how do I figure out the clearance for a single hole faucet? I am looking at the Kohler 13" round sink because I think 18" x 16" would take up too much room for the faucet/soap dispenser.

If you don't mind, have a look on Kohler's web site at my sink and tell me if a Brizo Riviera single hole faucet with soap dispenser would work with a 24" vanity. I have a new plumber and he's a doll to work with so I don't want to annoy him unnecessarily. I am truly amazed at how much this guy knows and how efficient and dedicated he is.

It is not the best looking sink. I would prefer a vessel sink to fit that space, but wall mounting a faucet doesn't make sense to me at this stage of the game. This is a fairly modern looking bathroom I am aiming for.

K-2298

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecata...602&prod_num=2298&section=2&category=16&ssm=1

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

Why not just use a mixing bowl? That is about the size of that sink and it is too small for any but the most utilitarian purposes. A 20x17 oval with 8" drilling would give you a decent bowl and openings for the faucet, assuming it has provision for a pop-up operator, and two dispensers.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
You're right of course. I saw the sink in question and realized I have some about that size in my kitchen already:eek:

What about 18 x 16" for 24" vanity? I can't help thinking about my solid surface having no countertop after that area is cut for the drop in sink.

That's not too small and should give enough room for my single hole faucet and soap dispenser.

asuwish

Reaction score
Hey HoneySuckle,

Don't give up on the vessel sink yet. Let's clarify - are you talking about an above the counter sink, pictured in your first link or a "normal" sink (sunk into the vanity) as shown in your second link? I had an "above the counter" sink installed. It wasn't that expensive. The plumber didn't think it was complex to install. Check out the thread "show off ..." in the remodel forum (sorry I don't know how to link to a thread) I've included pictures of what it looks like in our contemporary bathroom. I used a single lever faucet - the faucet doesn't have to be wall mounted or a high gooseneck faucet mounted at the side. The vanity does have to be lower to accomodate the height of the sink. Make sure it has an overflow - I've got two kids and that sink fills up fast! Great for washing your face; great for washing delicates by hand;easy for the kids to reach.

I don't think it was this exact model but something like it:

Last edited by a moderator:

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
That's gorgeous but alas I have already given up that vision. Thanks though for showing it could be done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks