Vessel sink size question

Users who are viewing this thread

Watson524

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

DIYer here with a question for the experts. We're replacing a cracked pedestal sink in a very small powder room with no storage with a vanity (door in middle, open sides so it won't make the room look much smaller and raised legs for flow underneath) and a vessel sink, totally on top of a counter we're going to make out of 22 - 24" tile. The counter top will be 30.5" wide and about 21 - 22" deep less back/side splashes.

Are there recommended guidelines for the size of a vessel sink vs the countertop surface? I'm thinking we will off set the faucet to a 1 or 2 o'clock position to allow for some extra space (one of the reasons for getting away from the pedestal is because there's no countertop at all for even a soap dispenser and it's perched precariously at the edge of the sink next to the faucet)

I'm thinking a 16 - 16.5" vessel may be too big but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Safest thing is to cut out some mockups from say cardboard and see for yourself. While they can be more expensive, to save room, you might also want to consider a wall mounted valve/spout. I don't have much of any experience with this type of sink, so won't add more other than if you get a drain with a grate, many people find it's tough to get things to drain well if it has small holes or grid.

Watson524

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the templates. I am going with a water pump looking faucet so I cant wall mount it. I was reading about the different types of drains an I don't think I'm worried about overflow issues since it's a limited use powder room sink so I will likely go with the solid one but the slow draining issue is good to know about

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks