Vessel Sink Installation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by apnep, Sep 25, 2012.

1. apnep

apnep New Member

Please help!

I am trying to install my vessel sink but I can't stop it from leaking at the base of the sink. What the heck am I doing wrong??

I put plumber's putty under the lip of the drain, inserted the drain into the hole, attached the gasket and nut directly underneath. How do I get it to stop leaking?
    Do I need to put plumber's putty on the gasket too? I don't think I over tightened.

sink1.jpg
    sink2.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Angela
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There are threads on the drain pipe for the nut to tighten the drain to the bowl. Sometimes, the gasket seals to the bottom of the sink, but water can leak along the threads. So, loosen that nut, rub some plumber's putty on the threads near the point the nut will be when it is retightened, retighten the nut and see if that stops it.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Is the locknut tightened against the sink or the bottom of the countertop?