Vessel Sink drain problem

Users who are viewing this thread

single_digit

Reaction score
I have a vessel sink with an overflow drain near the top. I have a drain assembly that has a cut out opening to the hole in the side of the sink's base to allow the overflow to run in to it. However, I am a bit confused as to how to properly seal this system up. The design of this drain assembly allows water to go between it and the sink to get under the sink. I have started noticing efflorescence on my marble, presumably because water is leaking down and pooling between the sink and the marble. What is the best solution here? It seems like a poor design and I'm assuming that plumber's putty alone can't fix it? I'm thinking about buying a drain assembly that doesn't have a hole for the overflow to tie in to, but that isn't really ideal either.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Either you are not describing the sink properly, or you have installed the drain wrong, because there should not be any way for "overflow" water to escape and cause a leak. Plumber's putty is NOT a "cure all".

single_digit

Reaction score
Here is a shot of what I believe to be the problem area. You can see the cutout in the drain assembly that allows the overflow to enter the drain. I believe water is going between the metal and porcelain at this point any time water enters the drain. The pop up assembly has been taken out for this photo. Thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC_0196-crunched.jpg
    DSC_0196-crunched.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 601

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
there is supposed to be a rubber washer that installs between the sink and the locknut of the drain to seal it.

single_digit

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I guess the only way to know if that is there (let alone functioning properly, is to pull the sink off of the countertop). :(
That would make sense though. If this is not there is it a readily replaceable part? What would it be called to a plumbing supply place?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
I was trying to give you a link that showed a picture of the part but this site won't let me link it. Anyway the part should be readily available at any supply house. If you don't have one nearby then Lowes or Home Depot should carry it. Good luck.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Water in the overflow openings or in the sink will NOT leak under the sink, unless the rubber washer is installed improperly. sometimes, when the sink is on top of the countertop, the installer may use the drain to hold the sink in place and this does NOT work with a sink which has an overflow.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks