Vessel bowl basin slow drainage problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by JMCC, Jun 14, 2008.

1. JMCC

JMCC New Member

Hello all,

I just installed a vessel bowl basin in my bathroom and it looks great. However, it doesn't drain adequately. The bowl would actually overflow if I left the water running. I shortened the tail piece to see if it would help and it didn't.

I thought the problem might be the lack of an overflow on the basin, but the sink in the kitchen doesn't have an overflow and yet it drains fine. Nevertheless, would a pro-vent help?

It does have a 19-hole drain with no stopper. Could this be hamplering the flow?

Any and all advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

JMCC

Vessel bowl basin slow drainage problem
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Grid drains are notorious for this. Try drilling out 5 or 6 holes to about 1/4" or 9/32" diam.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

You are being air-locked by the bubble between the trap and the strainer. The openings in the strainer are not large enough for the air to escape AND let the water drain down at the same time. It is compounded by the strainer being flat so that there are no pressure differentials created. A domed strainer or larger holes will cure the problem.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Some of the worst ideas in plumbing survive by being "Oh So Fashionable"
  5. JMCC

JMCC New Member

Well, I replaced the 19-hole grate with a 15-hole one with larger holes. Not good enough. I then drilled out 6 of the holes to .25". Still not enough. I finally drilled out the 6 center holes to .3125" and that did the trick!
    Thanks for the advice hj and jimbo.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Attached Files:

7. JMCC

JMCC New Member

And it's very nice looking too!
    Thanks!
  8. rickparsons

rickparsons New Member

Pop Up Drain in Vessel Sink Drains Slowly

I have a vessel sink that drains slowly. I figured it was the lack of positive pressure. I have a pop up drain with just two small oval openings for water and air to go through. Any recommendations on how to get past this problem on a sink with no overflow? Thanks.