Very stubborn spud/shoe on old clawfoot

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi all,
for a bath remodel we got an old 1912 American Standard clawfoot. Inside original and looked great. A little rust on the overflow hole, but I'll epoxy coat that and it will be hidden.

The problem has been getting the old drain off. I have a dumbbell spud tool and using a breaker bar or a big pipe wrench yields no results. Just won't budge at all. It does not look that corroded either.

I'm guessing they used silicone to put this on (no way it's original, too good of condition on the chrome). Could just be corrosion.

So, any advice on getting this thing off? Heat/cold? Penetrating oil?

Thanks,
Anthony

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm seeing instructions for using Silicone with some products now. I won't use it in many places. If the drain has been installed with Silicone, it may be very hard to remove without damage to the cast iron. Maybe someone here has tips for removing drains installed with Silicone.

Reaction score
I used silicone once on my guest bath tub drain to keep any water off the steel (the enamel at the lip of the drain hole had flaked and rusted). Given that tub will be replaced the next time I need to remove that drain, I did not see a downside. But for all other fixtures, I use putty and haven't had a leak yet.

This one might not be silicone and just corrosion (I can't see any squeezeout evidence), it just doesn't want to go.

I'm saving sawzall for an absolute last resort, but I know it's an option.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Even if it is just putty in the threads it can be as effective as epoxy cement to hold the spud in the shoe. Sawzall cutting across the bottom of the tub.

Reaction score
It's not silicone. After more force it moved the drain and shoe together. When I braced the shoe, the cross piece broke rather than unscrew.

Sawzall it is.

thanks for the help guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks