Very Slow Leak at Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

HR

Reaction score
Hello,
Just finished installing a new 4 way shower valve. Used copper all around with Brass fitting screwed onto the valve assembly with teflon tape. Have not done that much soldering but that worked out perfectly.
Trouble is at the threaded hot water supply fitting at the valve. I tighted these fittings up about as much as I could , but a very slow leak was apparent later the day of installation. Not a big one, at about 2 drops a day. Trying to figure out a plan.
Couple things I have considered. Thinking of heating up the the copper piping at a joint to loosen up the fitting and tighten the bolt, but I don't want to compramize that joint.
Or cold I heat up the brass fitting at the valve and apply some solder to the threaded fitting. I am concerned this may be too much heat close to the valve.
Or should I just cut the pipe and start from scratch on this one fitting?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob

TedL

Reaction score
Cut the pipe, but put back together with a coupling (no stop, if nesessary)...don't start from scratch.

My non-pro approach is to use a generous application of teflon pipe dope on those connections that "have to" be right the first time.

HR

Reaction score
Thanks Ted.
That is probably the best bet. Little tight on space , but it will probably work.
Also read on another post (search on leak) that if there is a slow leak on a brass fitting it may sort itself out.
Cheers,
Rob

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't like to rely on it "sorting itself out" because it is just as likely to "unsort" itself later!

Metal threads should go hand tight plus 2 to 3 turns with a wrench. Tape,or dope, and lots of guys recommend both. Mainly, I suggest not TOO MUCH tape. Just 3 to 4 turns of the paper thin white tape, or just 2 turns of the heavy tape (like the yellow gas tape).

HR

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo...Sounds like it's cutting time!
Cheers

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Soldering close to a male adapter can cause it to leak. It's best to make the nipple as long as possible, sweat it up and let it cool before screwing it in to the valve. Then wrap a wet rag around the the adapter before soldering the next joint.

HR

Reaction score
Thanks much. This is a wealth of information for the DIYer.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed a Price Pfister customer supplied tub/shower valve today. Since it was bought at a BigBox, it had the female threaded sockets. I sanded the sockets and male adapters then wrenched them tight and soldered them. That way I don't worry about that joint leaking from the heat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks