Very slow flush on new Toto Aquia toilet. Bag of installation hardware in outlet (update)

Users who are viewing this thread

Vinmassaro

Reaction score
Our house is a split level and we just finished a remodel to our lower-level bathroom. The problem I am having is the new Toto Aquia II toilet is nearly unusable because of a very slow flush. The house was built in 1958 and the water was shut off when I bought the house, so I never used the old toilet to know how the flush performed. The bathroom is in the lower level of the house, not a basement, and I assumed the flush wouldn't be as strong as upstairs, but this toilet can't be used right now except for going #1.

Here is a video with the bowl empty, so you can see that if there is anything in it, it'll barely flush:

Here's what I have tried:
  • Dump water in fast from a 5gal bucket (not fully because it can't take it), still drains just as slowly
  • Snaked the toilet with an auger
  • Snaked plumbing vents on roof with auger, nothing came out
If it makes any difference, this is going out to a 750gal septic tank which was pumped last August. Could this poor flush be caused by the short drop due to it being in the lower level? We put in this Toto toilet with a Washlet seat and are pretty bummed right now because it can't be used! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should have a plumber snake the line clear to the septic tank. Don't mess with chemicals or small DIY snakes.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Could this poor flush be caused by the short drop due to it being in the lower level?

As long as the pipe slopes at least 1/8" per foot, that's all it needs.

Fear not, you most likely should easily be able to get everything you want from your Aquia. My suggestion: Call a good, real plumber that has good recommendations and is known there in Milford (not one of these Rooter places that's going to suggest all sorts of digging and piping and stuff). Ask him to snake the main drain line, which may or may not involve pulling the toilet and putting it back in. Chances are that once it is clear, you will have what you want.

I got a recommendation from our member MacPlumb a while back, who is a master plumber in the drain cleaning business who knows good operators around the country. I can ask him if he recommends someone there in Milford. The guy he put me in touch with on Long Island was a one-man operation, totally rocked, did an incredible job at a very modest price for what he accomplished and what he brought to the job, and earned multiple recommendations from me to others, who were in turn quite satisfied. But if you have a good trusted plumber there, use him. It may not be the cheapest route in the short term, but there's a value to getting it done right the first time.

Actually, doing a little research on my own, this guy Terrence has exclusively great reviews on HomeAdvisor, and enough of them (31) to be believeable, one positive review and no negative ones at the BBB, and seems to try to run a customer-focused one-man shop. It's always good when half of the reviewers comment on how professional he is and many call him a gentleman and say that he is who they would call next time. It means that he has made a good enough impression that people are writing reviews to try to help his business. He says if you call him, your call will be answered by a real person (most likely him, I'll bet). He's a guy I would call, and he has a no-charge-if-he-can't-fix-it policy, which is as good as it gets. (and I would just call him, and save him whatever commission HomeAdvisor collects for appointments made on their site; I just put up the link to the site so you can see his reviews and make your own decision). http://www.homeadvisor.com/rated.KlearKlogsLLC.41614145.html#ratingsReviews

If you try him, let me know what you think.

You indicate that the toilet is located on the first floor, not the basement. Do you have a basement such that you readily can see the piping from the toilet to the main line and the main line out to where it goes off to the septic tank? If so, it couldn't hurt to shoot us a couple of photos of that setup just so we can see that the piping itself is correct. If what you have instead is a crawlspace or something, don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Vinmassaro

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't have access to this line from the basement, unfortunately. It is original from 1958. This toilet is right at the end and the line from this bathroom continues out to one of the septic tanks. The waste line in the bathroom is cast iron, so can I assume that the line from the house to the septic tank is cast iron, or is it possible that orangeburg pipe was used? Also, would you recommend I ask if the plumber has a drain camera to inspect the line to the tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
This toilet is right at the end and the line from this bathroom continues out to one of the septic tanks.
How often do you get the septic tank pumped? Has it been long?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Also, would you recommend I ask if the plumber has a drain camera to inspect the line to the tank?

Sometimes this is an expense that you don't need to undertake. People love to do it because it's an extra charge. If he can get it open with a snake, then I'm not usually too concerned what exactly the clog was. If it's a challenge to get open or he claims it's some kind of cave-in or "root" that requires digging up the lawn or the pipe being resleeved or some such, then, yeah, you want to see the camera run through the pipe first. Yeah, old cast iron can be problematic at some point to some, but ours is from 1927 and drains like it was put in yesterday, having never been touched in at least the last 55 years.

I'm guessing that one of the things that helps keep it flowing nicely is the fact that the 1980s-era Maytag washer (which still works great) is at the far end of the line, and runs prodigious amounts of detergent-filled water through the entire length of the drain line at least weekly.

Last edited:

Vinmassaro

Reaction score
Well, I wanted to follow up because we had time to remove the toilet tonight. Took it off, drain was clear. Drained the water out of the toilet and flipped it over. What do you know: the bag of installation hardware for the flange stuffed into the toilet outlet. My father swears it was not there when we installed it because he remembers thinking the outlet was small on this toilet! Oh well, saved me a call to a plumber. One mistake we'll never make again!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well, I wanted to follow up because we had time to remove the toilet tonight. Took it off, drain was clear. Drained the water out of the toilet and flipped it over. What do you know: the bag of installation hardware for the flange stuffed into the toilet outlet. My father swears it was not there when we installed it because he remembers thinking the outlet was small on this toilet! Oh well, saved me a call to a plumber. One mistake we'll never make again!

One time...........Yes it was only one time. After an installation, my son took the wax paper from the wax, flushed it down the bowl and we left.
I did not know this.
Fifteen minutes down the road we get the call. Toilet plugged. Yes! It does wonders when there is stuff left in the trapway of the bowl. :(
So after that one time, the rule about disposing of paper waste in a waste can or box made a whole lot more sense to him. Thousands of installs later, perfection. :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yikes! Does Toto always pack this hardware in the toilet outlet? Seems like a poor spot!

No.

How did you install the flange without the parts though?

aquia_install_fig_2.jpg

Reaction score
Yikes! Does Toto always pack this hardware in the toilet outlet? Seems like a poor spot!
Not poor at all.

From an assembly line and packaging point of view, this is a very safe and secure way to "include parts".

A lot of automotive parts are similar. Experience makes the mechanic look out for a bag of small parts and screws.

Perhaps the manufacturer can spend more time and money on printing warning papers strategically placed in areas you are certain to see, like the ones you see when you unpack a computer printer, but I'll leave that to you to make a crusade out of.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks