Very slow drip...must I do something?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by dmax56, Dec 8, 2008.

1. dmax56

dmax56 Handyman

You guys have been so great about responding to all the issues I've had with doing a new bath, I almost feel guilty asking about one little thing...but a whirlpool bath will wash that away! LOL

I've got a drip in the cold faucet shutoff (1/2" finished threaded pipe and valve)...it's literally a drip an hour. Might this seal up with microscopic particles from the water on it's own and are there any issues with this?

In order to redo this drip, I'd really have to undo everything and would rather spend the 2 hours doing other things!

Thanks for what I hope will be the last plumbing issue in this bath!

Doug
  2. dmax56

dmax56 Handyman

forgot to mention

my drip an hour is not in the valve, but between the valve and pipe...coming through the threads, not the valve.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

You can do 2 thing...wait and see if it stops or gets worse or continues as it is ...or fix it...but then I think you knew that...
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drip

One of two things will happen.
    1. Natural corrosion will seal the drip.
    2. The drip will continue and it will erode the pipe threads until the drip becomes a stream and then you will have to open the wall and correct it.
    Your choice. It can happen to a plumber also, but not very often, so you know why we charge what we do.
  5. dmax56

dmax56 Handyman

Thanks again, hj and cass. I guess I could've figured out those options...so I'll wait a little bit and if need be, get into it!

D
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

This is one of those "Round Tuit" jobs!:D
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

leak

If it was steel piping, you could do like fire sprinkler fitters do and pack it with salt to speed up the rusting process.