Very old American Standard Cadet Model F4049-16- need some help please

Users who are viewing this thread

Work123456

Reaction score
Hello
i have a very old American Standard Cadet F4049-16, it keeps running and i am trying to diagnose the problem and fix it

It seems to be running every 1 hour so so- very annoying. I am thinking if it is the flush valve- perhaps i should replace that? When i put my hand and touch the flushvale- especially the part that closes on top of the flapper- my hands are coated in black ink.

would that be the best part to change (FlushValve?)

any advice to a non-plumber would be great-

if it is rec to replace the Flushvalve- any good websites that sell for good price? would HomeDepot carry?

When i pull the chain- and let it go, maybe its not "sealing" and water gets through? Thanks for your help

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you need to use a plunger sometimes? If so, consider replacing the toilet.

Otherwise, wipe the black stuff off with a rag and replace the flapper.

http://m.korky.com/landing.php has a nice finder for flappers and flush valves.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the flapper is making you hand black by touching it, replace it with a new red flapper. The red flappers by Fluidmaster and Korky are much better.
I would try that first.
If you want to be really ambitious you can pick up an entire tank rebuild kit, replacing the flush valve and flapper, the fill valve and the handle. If you do that, also pick up a new supply line (connector) Both Fluidmaster and Korky make kits for that. The 4049 is a very basic tank, taking standard parts for a 2" flush valve.

Work123456

Reaction score
If the flapper is making you hand black by touching it, replace it with a new red flapper. The red flappers by Fluidmaster and Korky are much better.
I would try that first.
If you want to be really ambitious you can pick up an entire tank rebuild kit, replacing the flush valve and flapper, the fill valve and the handle. If you do that, also pick up a new supply line (connector) Both Fluidmaster and Korky make kits for that. The 4049 is a very basic tank, taking standard parts for a 2" flush valve.

thanks for writing back
im looking at the toilet now, this is what it kind of looks like
http://www.griggindustries.com/product250.html

in my toilet, the black thing that is inky is connected to the flush valve? When i pull the chain, the black thing -i think its the flapper- opens like a mouth and when i let the chain drop it sits on the toilet...if that is the flapper, which model of flapper should i get to fit this old toilet? Thanks again

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That rubber tilt disc is easy to replace. You might as well pick up two at the store and then you will have an extra.
They just press on and off.

http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-products/toilet-flappers/american-standard-seat-disc.html

5103_package.jpg

Work123456

Reaction score
Probably fine. Let us know how it works for you.

I was thinking Everbilt was a house brand for Home Depot, but I see some other places carry Everbilt products. https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/home-depot-product-authority-llc-3252610/ identifies trademarks owned by Home Depot Product Authority, LLC .

update- I replaced with a Everbilt- as this was the only one they had at HD.
the toilet is still running- when i look at the water in the toilet bowl I can see ti run on the sides and the toilet , as i type, is running
so i have already replaced the seat disc. what else can cause it to run? as i said i can see the water running. any suggestions for this non plumber would be great

Work123456

Reaction score
Do you need to use a plunger sometimes? If so, consider replacing the toilet.

Otherwise, wipe the black stuff off with a rag and replace the flapper.

http://m.korky.com/landing.php has a nice finder for flappers and flush valves.

never use a plunger- i just replaced the flapper with a new one. I took a cloth and wiped the plastic thing that the flapper sits on. Flushed toilet and still running. I then pressed the flapper hard to make a better seal and then water stopped leaking. I am now watching it

brand-k

Reaction score
I would try that first.

Hi! I have this toilet, and today I did my very first tank rebuild with a Fluidmaster universal all-in-one kit. So far, so good, but I’m worried about the gasket between tank and bowl. I seated it correctly and snugged the tank to the bowl, but I noticed that the replacement gasket doesn’t look much like the old one.
Will a “universal” gasket work okay on this toilet? If it isn’t working right, how long will it take before I see a leak? It’s been a few hours and all looks well, but I don’t know how long I need to be vigilant against gasket failure.

jl2913

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here. I also have this tank, however the flush valve must have been removed by the previous home owner and all that is there is your normal red rubber flapper. The problem is that flapper either does not cover the hole completely, or the rubber is not rigid enough as it gets pulled in to the hole as the tank fills up, causing a little water to leak in to the bowl, which then eventually activates the fill valve every 5-10 minutes or so.

My question is, can I just replace this with a rigid flapper that would prevent this from happening, or should I replace it with the same style flush valve that was linked above? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Reviving an old thread here. I also have this tank, however the flush valve must have been removed by the previous home owner and all that is there is your normal red rubber flapper. The problem is that flapper either does not cover the hole completely, or the rubber is not rigid enough as it gets pulled in to the hole as the tank fills up, causing a little water to leak in to the bowl, which then eventually activates the fill valve every 5-10 minutes or so.

My question is, can I just replace this with a rigid flapper that would prevent this from happening, or should I replace it with the same style flush valve that was linked above? Thanks.

How about a picture of the inside of your tank?
Most of the time, a new flapper is the fix you need. The red ones will outlast the black rubber flappers.

jl2913

Reaction score
Here is the best angle that I could get without the risk of dropping my phone in the water. =)

The front of that flapper is where I think the water is escaping. It seems that any “universal” flapper that I’ve used has issues which is why I wonder if I should just get the original replacement part. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 26446E64-6368-41A3-BC4B-1FFDE75AA85D.jpeg
    26446E64-6368-41A3-BC4B-1FFDE75AA85D.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 311

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is the best angle that I could get without the risk of dropping my phone in the water. =)
Looks like the arm on your flush level is short, so the chain pulls the flapper to the side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks