Bathroom slow drain. Very odd problem !!

Users who are viewing this thread

ianmulluk

Reaction score
I have a very slow draining sink in the bathroom.
I have removed the p trap and cleaned it out.
I have cleaned the other pipes and can pour water down them successfully.
I can pour water throught the p trap when it is not connected.

HOWEVER - when I reconnect it all , after only 1 cupfull of water down the sink it starts backing up .
How can this be ??
The p trap works fine when i disconnect it and run water through it and we have NO blockage

Really Odd - HELP !!

Thanks
Ian

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Slow drain

I've seen older homes that did not have a vent for the bathroom basin. That's what it sounds like to me. Check to see if there is a vent or if the vent is blocked. If there is no vent at all, you might look at a Studor vent for the basin.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Remove the pop-up and inspect inside the drain.. There may be an obstruction in the overflow holes in the tailpiece.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If as little as one cup of water backs up I agree that the problem is right there in the pop up drain assembly. An amazing amount of "gook" ( soap mixed with decaying hair) can build up there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks