very odd problem !!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ianmulluk, Nov 29, 2004.

1. ianmulluk

ianmulluk New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    I have a very slow draining sink in the bathroom.
    I have removed the p trap and cleaned it out.
    I have cleaned the other pipes and can pour water down them successfully.
    I can pour water throught the p trap when it is not connected.

HOWEVER - when I reconnect it all , after only 1 cupfull of water down the sink it starts backing up .
    How can this be ??
    The p trap works fine when i disconnect it and run water through it and we have NO blockage

Really Odd - HELP !!

2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    Slow drain

I've seen older homes that did not have a vent for the bathroom basin. That's what it sounds like to me. Check to see if there is a vent or if the vent is blocked. If there is no vent at all, you might look at a Studor vent for the basin.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

Sep 11, 2004
    Plumbing Contractor
    SF Peninsula
    Remove the pop-up and inspect inside the drain.. There may be an obstruction in the overflow holes in the tailpiece.
  5. Bob's HandyGuy

Bob's HandyGuy Senior Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Also, make sure your pop-up is adjusted so that it goes up all the way.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    If as little as one cup of water backs up I agree that the problem is right there in the pop up drain assembly. An amazing amount of "gook" ( soap mixed with decaying hair) can build up there.