VERY low water pressure but pump keeps running

Users who are viewing this thread

jhashey

Reaction score
Hello,

We just recently bought a house with a well and started having issues. The submersible pump is ALWAYS running but the water pressure only gets to 18.

I did follow the instructions on the sticky and replace the pressure switch as well as the gauge. The problem still exists. We have the pressure tank and the water filter left to tinker with, but I wanted to ask advice before I start switching things out.

What are some possible causes for constant pump running and very low pressure?

Thank you!!!!

PS. Since we just moved in, I'll answer these as best as possible.

Type of pump?
Submersible

Size of Pump?
Motor Horsepower?__________
Pump Model #______________
Date Pump Installed__________

Pumping from?

Water Well
Depth of well__________
Depth to water_________

Drop Pipe Material

Steel_______ Pretty sure it is steel

Well Recovery Rate_______gpm
Well Casing Diameter_______â€
Rock Well__________ Sand Well__________ Other______________
Date Well Drilled____________

Well Casing Material
PVC________ Steel_________ Other_________

Pressure Tank?
Bladder or diaphragm tank (one pipe to tank) Yes..
Size or model of tank Around 25-30 gallons

Pressure Switch Setting?
On 30, off 50

Filters or Softeners______________
after pressure tank
Type of filter whirlpool
Bypass available YES but doesn't seem to work

Water Used For?
House Use YES Number of baths 2 Number of People 3

Problems Experienced

Air in water - There has been some air in the water, but only after I did a filter change briefly them briefly after the pressure switch was changed

water pressure doesn't exceed 20.

Do you have, and know how to use
an Ampmeter and Voltmeter__________________

Describe Problem__________________________ (Above)

Reach4

Reaction score
It's not the filter.

I expect it is one of these:
1. pump is bad.
2. the well is running dry. Test for that by turning off the pump for a few hours. See if pressure is a lot higher when you first turn the pump back on.
3. there is a leak in the connection to the pump, which may be down-hole.
4. Something is draining a lot of water up top. Close valves to isolate. (least likely, since you would probably have noticed)

Look for obvious stuff, but expect to call a well company. Ask your neighbors for advice. They will probably know the local reputations.

non-expert, non-pro.

Joe Enger

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a bad leak.. Go back and look through your electric bills, I bet they were higher than usual.

Do you notice any wet spots in your yard? The leak is either from your house, to the well. OR from the pitless down to the pump. If your pump is on poly pipe then I would guess the leak would be from the well to the house (9 time out of 10 its the fitting off the pitless)

If it isnt a leak, then the impellers on the pump are shot, and you should replace the pump.

EDIT: I just saw that you posted your pump is on galvanized steel pipe. I would say the pipe is leaking on the couplings. Very dangerous on gal, ive lost pumps from couplings becoming so weak. Call in a professional, your going to need a derrick truck or an upzdazy machine at the very lest.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks