Very helpful folks on floorelf.com + johnbidge.com = terrylove.com referral

Users who are viewing this thread

crobinson22

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 3" slab under my shower and on top of my house pad. The house is older and has CI. After much deliberation about control joints (re-tiling onto the shower slab), then advice to bust it out (vs. removing concrete around existing drain, to accept a Kerdi), I'm left with possibly cutting out some of the house pad (to move the drain to the center of the shower and to install a P trap). There is standing water at the bottom of the drain pipe, only just barely, a hanger hits metal just below the surface of the water. I'm not sure if I have a bad slope, if there's just crud down there, if there's some older trap configuration and am not certain how to proceed. If having traps in series doesn't work, and I'd need to install a vent (now I'm 3 feet below the house.....and on the roof), and I desire to do the right thing as hard as it may be - should I bother digging down to the line (a 4 foot trench after cutting a chunk of the house slab out) to inspect it, or simply doing what I need to, to get the Kerdi drain installed, proceed with the rest of the waterproofing/tile and be done?

We have a rule at my house - "are you asking?", what that rule means is if you're asking if you really should be doing something (or shouldn't be doing something), you're subconsciously looking for affirmation about what your mind has already made a decision about.

Trouble is, with this situation, I truly have no idea what to do. I don't want to perform exploratory surgery on my house. I also don't want to be stupid.

Thanks for your time,

Charlie

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A little standing water in an old line may just mean the line needs snaking.
You had a p-trap before. Where is that trap located? Why can't the shower be drained at that end? It doesn't need to be centered, if that incurs that make work. You do however need a trap somewhere.

crobinson22

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply Terry!

I have busted out a slab under the shower and am down to the house slab, have a hole around the CI drain pipe (it's only 2' deep, not 3) that is big enough to accept a Kerdi drain and would like to proceed with tile. I don't know the trap situation. I believe there is a vent (from what I've seen on the roof) that looks to be common to the shower, and the sink, and possibly even to another tub and sink on the other side of the wall.

Would it be incredibly stupid to not cut the slab and dig down to the drain, and just finish up the tile job? Thanks, Charlie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks