vertical-to-horizontal transition: long bend only or or Y plus 45 with cleanout?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Steve Zerby, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Steve Zerby

Steve Zerby Remodel Contractor

Dropping my main 3" PVC drain line from second floor bathrooms to basement, then turning 90 degrees to horizontal run of about 30 feet to the septic tank (20 indoors, 11 feet from house to septic).

At the vertical to horizontal transition I have room for a wye with 45 and a cleanout behind it , but would it be better to simply use a long bend for less turbulence in the turn and not worry about a cleanout?

Thanks,

Steve
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

You need a cleanout at the base of a stack so a wye and 1/8 bend with an eco in the end of the wye is the way to go
  3. Steve Zerby

Steve Zerby Remodel Contractor

If I have room, would it be better to put the clean out access in the vertical section just above the bend and use a long bend at the bottom? I know I'm over thinking it, but it just seems to me that turning that corner with the wye plus 1/8 is still going to introduce more turbulence than just a bend.

Steve
  4. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

No it wouldn't. The proper way is with a wye and 1/8 bend or a combo fitting if you can find one. The clean out needs to go in the horizontal section.