Vertical drain or a vertical stack?

Users who are viewing this thread

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
What makes one a stack and one just a drain?

A "stack" is a mostly vertical pipe. What goes through it determines whether is a sewer, drain, or vent stack.

Is there a maximum distance a drain can go vertically?

Last edited by a moderator:

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
Thanks HJ.

I have a lav and a whirlpool tub in a master bath. I am venting them both and running the vents through the attic to the main stack. Each one will then tie into a vertical drain which goes down into the crawl space and then runs to the main stack as well. I am just trying to figure out if this vertical pipe is a drain so I do not have to vent it, since I am venting both fixtures prior to them entering the vertical drain. It is my understanding this will be a drain since both fixtures tying into the vertical drain are vented and are on the same floor. Just want to make sure my thinking is correct.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your "thinking" is convoluted. You do NOT "vent" drains. You vent "traps". How you connect the vent to the pipe from the trap determines whether it is correct or not. Just installing a vertical pipe near a trap does not mean it is vented.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
This should have been a separate posting, not added to yours.

the tallest building in the world, still has plumbing on its upper floors. However the stacks do not go straight down the whole distance.

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
Right. Both traps are vented. The double lav is vented the same way most people do it, both pipes coming into a fixture tee, then the drain goes down and the vent goes up until the attic and then goes horizontal(with some pitch) to the main stack. The whirpool tub is vented about a foot after the trap and remains vertical until it reaches the attic then goes horizontal to the main stack.

I am just taking a different route to the main stack with the drainage then normal. Instead of these fixtures tying into the stack under the second floor, they are going vertical to the crawl space and then tying in. I just want to make sure this vertical pipe will not be considered a stack and need to be vented as well?

Thanks for all your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks