Verifying the right Toto EcoDrake bowl to go with the CST743E tank

Users who are viewing this thread

aPlumbingNovice

Reaction score
I recently ordered a Toto EcoDrake EL ADA (CST744EL) toilet. Accoridng to Toto, the CST744EL is made up of the C744EL bowl and the ST743E tank.

I was shipped instead a C744SL bowl with the ST743E tank. The vendor said that as long as the tank is the E, the bowl can be an SL.

From my research in Terry's site and Toto's, I know that the C744SL bowl is for the older Drake model (with the G-Max), not the EcoDrake.

Can someone advice if my vendor is correct in asserting that the ST743E (E-Max) tank can go with the C744SL bowl with the same effectiveness as the C744EL bowl?

Thank you Terry for your informative site.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know if there is any difference between the bowls.
They look the same to me.
The E bowls have been out for about 2 years.
They did have to reletter their boxes because Watersense requires the watersense labeling.
However, the only change I could see was in the tanks.

You will be fine.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I was told the other way around.

The C744EL bowl is designed for 1.28 gpf but will accept more water, but the C744SL is design for 1.6 g and using a ST743E will not give enough water to flush the bowl properly.

aPlumbingNovice

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for your response.

After I posed the same question to my vendor, they agreed to look for a C744EL bowl from thier supplier, which is alright with me. If that does not work out, I know now that the SL bowl can be an option.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The C744EL bowl is designed for 1.28 gpf but will accept more water, but the C744SL is design for 1.6 g and using a ST743E will not give enough water to flush the bowl properly.

They say that, but I haven't seen a real difference in bowl shape.
In the Seattle area, we've been carrying the E bowls, which like they say, will work with either tank.
It's been a long while since I've seen an S bowl.

aPlumbingNovice

Reaction score
Peanut9199 ...

Just saw your post. What you said makes a lot of sense, and it shows that opinions still vary on this question, especially when Toto does not explicitly point out the difference between the EL and SL bowls, if any. Terry suggests that the 2 bowls 'look the same'.

My take is that, as a consumer, given that this is an expensive toilet, and that the EL bowl has been out for 2 years (?) afterall, I would still push for getting the official EL.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks