1. tlarson

tlarson New Member

General question about venting: Can I use a san tee on it's back to vent a shower or toilet as long as it's sized correctly and all other requirements are met (trap arm length, max amount of bend, etc)?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

No.....................................................
  3. tlarson

tlarson New Member

Just curious, why not? I see it done in many jurisdictions in this area (Portland, Oregon and Southwest Washington state) and the inspectors always sign off on it. Oh well...........
  4. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

What's the jurisdiction?
    FWIW:
    2004 FPC 706.3, exception:
    Back-to-back water closet connections to double sanitary tees shall be permitted where the horizontal developed length between the outlet of the water closet outlet and the connection to the double sanitary tee pattern is 18" or greater.
  5. tlarson

tlarson New Member

I wasn't clear. What I'd like to do is vent the trap arm with a san tee on it's back, and then continue the drain horizontally after the vent. I've seen this done on showers and toilets. Is it permissable in some jurisdictions?
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Washington State uses UPC code, which means a combo fitting (wye and 45) on it's back.

They did use the Santee years ago.
  7. BAPlumber

BAPlumber Plumber

here in Medford, Oregon a santee on it's back is acceptable for venting. when I plumbed in Washington it was not.
  8. dubldare

dubldare Plumber/Gasfitter

San tee on it's back is suitable for venting in MN. I've put in a few in ND, but I think they're just amazed at seeing a vent. :D