venting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Septic tank smell is coming back in house.
The main waste line is about 30m from tank to roof.
To try and fix this, the plumber installed a small vent pipe near the tank and a hole in wall behind toilet. These work out to be around 1/3rd and 2/3rd along the entire length of stack.

Now, more smell comes out in an outside room at the first bent but it's still coming into the house.

I think as the roof vent does not extend, the smell is coming back inside the house.

I can't see the stack on the roof when I reach into the hole (pictured).
Is there anyway to add a fan?
I assume a p trap along the 4 inch stack won't work as the pressure would not be enough to clear it?

Attachments

• IMG_20141230_082307365.jpg
    IMG_20141230_082307365.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have no idea what those pictures are showing, or why the plumber did what he did, because it would have absolutely nothing to do with your odor. The odor is probably coming out of the pipe on the roof and then entering the house through some of the air vent, or fan discharge, openings. If you cannot SEE the vent termination without "reaching into a hole", then it was not done correctly.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
What is this-- is it open?View attachment 27635
Yes, that downpipe connects directly to the septic tank.
That small pipe was put in to try and vent it. I pointed out to the owner that the air can still travel up the main stack anyway.
I think the plumber is trying to avoid opening up the concrete walls to fix what the original plumber didn't do.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, that downpipe connects directly to the septic tank.
That small pipe was put in to try and vent it. I pointed out to the owner that the air can still travel up the main stack anyway.
Is the small pipe open? That would seem to be a source for smell.

Why are you showing that vent on the side of the house? Are you implying that this connects to the plumbing vent?

What is that metal box thing with orange stuff on the roof? Is that connected with your plumbing vent? That would be way weird. And what is the orange stuff?

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Is the small pipe open? That would seem to be a source for smell.

Why are you showing that vent on the side of the house? Are you implying that this connects to the plumbing vent?

What is that metal box thing with orange stuff on the roof? Is that connected with your plumbing vent? That would be way weird. And what is the orange stuff?
The house was smelling before.
To try and solve it the plumber installed that small pipe in a pool pump room outside, and opened another vent behind toilet in wall in side of house. It didn't solve it.

The orange stuff is filler material. That is the outlet on the roof where I can also smell the septic smell.