Venting toilet with Wye before first long turn 90 legal?

Users who are viewing this thread

ballardFan

Reaction score
Is venting a toilet with a reducing Y before the first long turn 90 as show in the diagram legal in Seattle, King County, WA? Or would it fall into the "wet vent" category since the 2" part of the Wye could technically get debris etc in a backup?

l_SCP_177_22.jpg

The vent I would be hooking into is a 2" vent and is dedicated - nothing else is incorrectly using it as a drain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They used to let us do that, but not now. The vent would need to be at a 45 degree to the wall, or vertical. Normally we use a santee under the vent, and arm over to pick up the toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is NOT a "wet vent" unless there is something, such as a lavatory, connected to it, and CORRECTLY using it as a drain. Otherwise it is just a horizontal dry vent, which is not allowed.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Terry, is that a local amendment? You stated it used to be legal but they changed it. Could you clarify the second part about the santee under the vent arming over thing? Very interested, thanks.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
"Otherwise it is just a horizontal dry vent, which is not allowed." Using a wye or tee fitting on the vertical section below the closet flange, and venting over horizontally as pictured above is a code compliant method for venting a water closet. I'm not seeing any prohibition in the 2012 Seattle Plumbing Code. Is there a change in 2015?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
Could you clarify the second part about the santee under the vent arming over thing? Very interested, thanks.

That "interesting thing " is the way at least 95% of toilets ARE connected, especially when there is a sink and/or tub next to the toilet.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry, is that a local amendment? You stated it used to be legal but they changed it. Could you clarify the second part about the santee under the vent arming over thing? Very interested, thanks.

I think this is what Terry is talking about.
If you will take a look at Burt Polk’s Helpful hints ,on page 15 , “Toilet rough in”
It is the group of six pictures. The first picture shows the sani-tee (low-heel-90):
http://www.co.lincoln.or.us/sites/d..._-_helpful_hints_residential_construction.pdf

Last edited:

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
quote;
Otherwise it is just a horizontal dry vent, which is not allowed.

quote;
That "interesting thing" is the way at least 95% of toilets ARE connected, especially when there is a sink and/or tub next to the toilet.

95% of the WC waste piping "I See" have horizontal venting, with the invert of the vent connection above the centerline of the drain pipe it serves. The horizontal vent will then turn vertical where the structure of the building permits, and connect with other vents in the system when code allows. The diagram above would require a substantial amount of vertical clearance, which I don't normally see during inspections. In fact local plumbers here are generally forced to use 4x3x6x10 herco bends, due to to structural depth limitations. I was looking for clarification from Terry. Not for a condesending response.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Spooky. We generally refer to that fitting as a low heel 90. That explains my confusion. In my opinion, that is the preferred and most ideal installation for a plumbing fixture, when conditions allow. It does require space vertically. We define that as "continuous venting" or vertical venting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was thinking of the low heel 90 on the vertical. Yes, a dry vent, unless there is a lav or tub above to make it a wet vent.
Horizontal wet venting is fairly recent in Washington. I've been doing more service in later years, and not very much rough work like I used to. There was a time in the 70's where I would get an inspection every day.
For a while I had a three man crew, with one guy mainly doing the digging on groundwork plumbing. I would rough five homes a week. All three bath homes with basements. Two up and one down.
On some of my bath remodels I've been using more horizontal wet venting now that I'm feeling the okay to do that now.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Terry.

Back to the original question. Ignoring the obstruction to flow in the above diagram due to the reducer, only talking about the venting, is that a code violation in Seattle? Would the above venting of a WC fail inspection?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thank you for your reply Terry.

Back to the original question. Ignoring the obstruction to flow in the above diagram due to the reducer, only talking about the venting, is that a code violation in Seattle? Would the above venting of a WC fail inspection?

I wish I could say. I used to plumb like that a lot. I'm just not doing enough work like that to test it out with the inspectors now.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I didn't even notice the reducer below the closet flange.
We use 4x3 closet flanges, and I also install 4x3 closet bends when I'm replacing lead bends.
On some commerical jobs I've used the 4x3 bend in the ground so I can come up with 4". It's nice when the framers miss the layout by an inch or so.
I can still center the bowls in the stalls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks