Venting thru sidewall

Users who are viewing this thread

johnwi3

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a camp being built in northern New Hampshire and would like to run the vent thru the sidewall. This would help avoid any penetrations in roof with high snow snow amounts annually. The wall I would come thru is shown below. There is no zoning so i am not held to any code although I just want it to be safe and functional. Thoughts?

John

Attachments

• IMG_1177.JPG
    IMG_1177.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,696

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's only for smell. I know a simular place where they didn't vent anything

But no venting, and all you have is smell inside the home. The venting prevents traps from siphoning. Venting needs to be higher than windows, or a good distance away to disperse the fumes.

Some places want a pipe size larger if there is a frost issue.

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
FYI... While there may not be any obvious administrative enforcement of the building codes, they still apply in the legal sense.

johnwi3

Reaction score
Everything will certainly be vented...just trying to avoid the roof if it is reasonable. I don't think I have the 10' clearance from openings but could squeeze a few feet from my closest window.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you go through the side wall, the vent is still supposed to rise above the roof level. That much pipe exposed to freezing weather can ice up internally and close off the vent, which is why they are supposed to rise through the building and then vent through the roof.

johnwi3

Reaction score
Soooo if I plop out a 3" elbow over on that gable above the 1st floor window the masses are saying no?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look up hoar frost. Warm, moist air will continually be moving up that pipe and when cold, it can create enough frost to close it off. If you go through the roof, a good portion of it will stay warm, so it can exhaust before it has a chance to substantially close off the pipe. If the vent line has appropriate slope (to allow condensation, rain, snowmelt, etc.) to drain, it can have a jog in it.

From a health and safety viewpoint, you need the vent pipe to be up in the air stream far enough so that it is not directed into windows or doors in the structure. It also needs to be big enough in diameter to prevent hoar frost from closing it off on a nasty period.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks