venting through the wall?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Philbert, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Philbert

Philbert New Member

I would like to move a sink in the basement I know that inspectors prefer the venting to be through the roof but in this case it isn't practical, so can it go through the wall so long as it a) is above the floodline and a min of 3" pipe as it exits to the outside to avoid it from freezing shut. I am in Ontario, Canada
    Thank you
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The local inspector would know. We run vents on the outside and through the roof sometimes here. And of course much of the older Seattle homes have the plumbing outside the walls.
    Those all go through the roof under the eaves and are at least six inches higher then the roof. More like 12"

Vents can't daylight under a window.
    The whole idea is to get the venting up high where the winds can blow it "away" from your home.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. Philbert

Philbert New Member

thank you very much
  4. shortcuttomoncton

shortcuttomoncton New Member

Yeah, my sister in law recently did this in Toronto. Straight out, and up and around the eave.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If you intend to just stick it out of the wall, then NO. If you will turn it upward and go above the roof, then "maybe" if you can convince an inspector that even the larger size will not freeze over because of its length. The inspectors don't "like" vents through the roof, most codes INSIST on it, so it makes no difference what the inspectors "like".
  6. Philbert

Philbert New Member

I just obtained a copy of the 2006 Ontario Plumbing code and once I decoded the relevant section (7.5.6.7 part 4) I found that allows so long as it exits the wall at a maximum of 45 degrees and is atleast a 3" pipe size as well as some minimum clearance requirements for windows, doors, ground and fresh air inlets .
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012