Venting through metal roof

Users who are viewing this thread

Drywaller

Reaction score
I have searched for this, but have not found a answer .
I have a house in northern VT.
I have a metal roof,6-12 pitch,3" vent going through.My friend is a plumber and installed when I wasnt there.He now has a broken leg in six places and I have to fix.
He put it about half way up the roof,I wanted it up towards the top more ,but it was too late and what happened is what I feared would happen,The ice and snow slid down and mowed right over and broke the vent lines off.
I now have to replace a peice of the metal roof as it is damaged.I know it wasnt anchored well inside and was looking for the correct way to anchor the vent line in my attic so it will not do this again.I will replace metal and move vent up the roof alot more.
What I would like to do,Is go out the gable end wall towards the top of wall and exit and not compromise my roof.
But I have read thats not legal.My house is spray foamed on roof and walls of attic,Could I vent out through my end wall?If not how can I anchor correctly so vent will not break again?
Thanks alot in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Parts of New England this winter had record snows...easily over 100". Obviously, not all of that was on the roof, but compress some, freeze, thaw cycles, and what is there often decides to come off the roof in a violent manner...not something those in Arizona are used to!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
While it would have been best to put it up high, you can install snowgards or, snowbars that break up the avalanche as it comes down into smaller pieces that will not take out chimneys and vents. It is probably in the interest of safety for those who may be on the ground below as well. You can also install a vee-shaped wedge above the vent to deflect the snow.

The other option would be to move the vent higher.

Drywaller

Reaction score
The 3" pvc did not break ,but bent over enough to ruin metal roof and broke off all connections below in my attic.
What Im looking for is the correct method of securing the pipe before going thru roof.I know there is a cast iron round clamp that could go onto pipe before exiting thru roof.
Could someone show me a link or photo,diagram of the correct method?

So its not legal or to code to go out high on the end wall to exit vent?And not compromise roof.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the vent terminates high enough and is big enough in diameter, functionally, it should be able to exit there...most people don't like the looks...not sure if it is to code or not.

ricaroofers

Reaction score
You should replace the piece of the metal roof if it is now damaged before doing some venting on the roof. You also need to have a snowboard to protect it from snow. I hope you had it repaired by now especially that the amount of snow expected to cover the place is unusually greater than before. Roofing Companies

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
To secure the pipe I would use a riser clamp secured between the 2 roof trusses and another between the floor/ceiling joists in the attic. A little blocking would do a lot of good.

fig90.gif

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We had snows in Chicago when I grew up there. I am not sure HOW your pipe penetrated the roof, but if the opening UNDER the metal was the proper size, (I am assuming there is a substructure of wood, or something under the metal, and not just the metal layer), the pipe could not have moved in ANY direction.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
You can use any method you wish to secure the vent pipe. U bolts, U straps/clamps, wood blocking, etc. The best method depends on what's in the attic: trusses, rafters and joists or other structural members. It's best to secure at two points far apart (as suggested, at rafters and joists for example) so that the pipe cannot pivot as it did before.

As far as going out the gable wall, call your local building department and ask if that is acceptable per local code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks