Venting sizes in Ontario Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

the_slowpoke

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my basement bathroom and I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some advice on the drain and venting pipe sizes I need to get the job done. There will only be a shower, toilet, and sink and the toilet is only 2 feet from the main stack. Thanks everyone, I enjoy reading your posts.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
going to scare everyone away with that degree of specificity.

There are many codes and subcodes, all very similar, and people signed in here have mentioned their very few differences.

I'm 99.99% sure that drain sizing is exactly the same in all codes.

I know of one difference in Ontario (maybe in all codes in Canada). The washing machine can drain into a 1.5" pipe. This is a relic from an older version of Code, and it never got increased to 2" as it did in the US. AFAIK.

One difference among codes is how long (maximum) your drain can run without venting. IPC, UPC, based codes vary on this subject, and these differences are known to many.

We had a questioner here last week who asked about the Ontario ESA inspection requirements. Similar question, and also too specific, as if Ontario would be all that different from all the other codes. The codes, adopted locally, are based on standards that are shared and discussed. They are designed to be close or the same to each other. Local regulatory agencies cannot NOT have a code, and cannot let their code be defined by some other group, so they adopt "a code" as their own, which is either 100% or 99% the same as ...

david

the_slowpoke

Reaction score
Ontario codes

Thanks for the reply Dave. I know I was being a bit specific in my question, but seeing as I am a newcomer to the site, I didn't know what was expected as I read several threads where people were asking for drawings and pictures etc. I'm going to assume I need a 2" drain at least and then I should be safe. Lucky for me one of the vent pipes is runs directly over where I'm installing the shower so I should be able to tie into that one. I think it's only 1 1/2" though and I don't know if the vent and the drain have to be the same size...hope not or I'm into a major upgrade here.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
post your layout here

and you'll get comments. Later, much later, you might find there is a small difference with your local code. I've already mentioned the biggest difference being the venting -spacing between vents- not the vent pipe size.

What you just said scares me. 2" is only good for the non-toilet stuff. A toilet needs 3".

You'll need at least two vents since you have three items.

Find out whether Ontario codes are IPC or UPC based. (Corresponding mostly closely to..)

David

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I helped do one of these in NY a few years back

We used 3" for the toilet (code minimum everywhere, I think).

The shower was on a 2" (that's the size you need for the drain connection anyways, and I think it was code as well)

The sink on 1 1/2, drained into the shower drain, though.

Backvented the sink and the shower individually.

That was a nasty, scary gig. Old tenements are the worst. The stack (3 stories, cast-iron) was running up a little lightwell (maybe 3' x 4', with a vented skylight at the top, windows to each apartment, relic of the earliest ventilation codes). No supports or brackets or anything, all the way up. Braced only by the drain & vent lines coming from the apartments on each floor, and held up by... the compressive strength of the cast-iron below... which I was about to cut. I had the chain cutter in hand, literally, when I happened to look up through a hole in the floor above.

Luckily each apartment also had a window to the lightwell (most had been painted shut for decades), because it was way too small to set a ladder in. We spent 3 days installing braces for pipe brackets across in the lightwell to hold up the stack, and I was still scared spitless when I cut that pipe...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks