1. alannaimee@charter.net

alannaimee@charter.net New Member

Good evening all.

During the course of troubleshooting a suspected vent issue, I went to the roof and put the running garden hose down the vent. In about 10 seconds or so, the water was coming out of the vent. I know for sure the main drain is clear.

I'm not a plumber, so can this happen with a 4" vent stack that is totally free and clear? It seems as though the vent stack should easily handle the flow from a standard water hose.

Further, I've found that 2 45 degree bends along with a 1 foot straight section of the vent is cast iron. The house is about 50 years old. Could this cast section be junked up causing my problem?

What am I missing? Any suggestions appreciated.

BellPilot
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You have a clog in the vent line. It could be a bird's nest, a dead squirrel, a rat, a pile of leaves and twigs, etc. A garden hose in that size pipe should have no impact and just flow out to the sewer.
  3. BellPilot,
    You need to snake the vent from top to bottom with a heavy-duty plumber's snake (can be rented), and then flush it down with a water hose srayer.
    Good luck!
    Mike
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

You need to snake the vent from top to bottom with a heavy-duty plumber's snake (can be rented)

If you rent it be sure it is light enough to carry up on the roof, but big enough to do the job. Or call a plumber to do it and let him take the risk of falling off the roof, or hurting his back taking his snake up there.
  5. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

He might be able to get the snake up there with a helicopter...
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

snake

A plumber will be cheaper and safer. Snakes are bad enough on level ground, much worse on a pitched roof.
  7. alannaimee@charter.net

alannaimee@charter.net New Member

Thanks to the folks who took the time to answer. You've confirmed what I thought.

Will get to it this weekend, and let you know how it goes.

Alan