Venting problem

Users who are viewing this thread

King3244

Reaction score
I have a 20 year old house which we have lived in for 5 years. For the first 4 or so years we had no plumbing venting problems......THEN.....I replaced all the toilets with Elger Titan toilets(6 litre flush).....great toilets by the way.....only have to flush those babies once.

Now I have two bathrooms that suck the traps dry! One in a shower 3 feet from the toilet and the other a vanity about 4 feet from the toilet.

What gives? Do those new toilets flush so well that they create a vacuum and pull the water out of those other traps? Nothing else was changed.

I went up on the roof and ran water down the vents and they pass water with no problem......any other ideas???

Bob

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Do those new toilets flush so well that they create a vacuum and pull the water out of those other traps? Nothing else was changed.

Maybe the drain lines have some buildup on the inside and the new toilets are able to fill that space for just long enough to siphon other traps smaller than their own. If that is so, pulling the toilets and brushing the first few feet of line might solve the problem ... but all of that is just a guess.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
traps

NOTHING, especially a toilet, can pull the seal from a properly vented lavatory trap. IF that is happening, then you have some other problem which we cannot diagnose without being there and seeing when and how it happens and how to cure it.

King3244

Reaction score
Crap.....lol....pun intended.

I was sure that after reading the forum for awhile that someone would be able to figure this out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks