1. Tricky Ricky

Tricky Ricky New Member

hello, im installing a new bathroom in the basement and im looking for options to vent it, i have 2 stacks coming into the bsement but both have washrooms and other attached to them on the second story and first, is it code to vent to the outside at ground lvl...or do i have to run a new stack up to attic or is there a way to attach to the stacks without wet venting ? i'm kinda stuck till i figure this out so i can continue with the drywall...all comments welcome...thks
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Wet venting is for a bathroom group (shower,lav, toilet) on the same floor. Not for between floors.
    A vent from the basement typically exits through the roof, or ties in at a vent 42" above the second floor.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. Tricky Ricky

Tricky Ricky New Member

so its against code to tie a vent into the stack at basement lvl with drains above....so i have to run a new stack to the second lvl above the other drains or a new vent to the roof. correct?
  4. Tricky Ricky

Tricky Ricky New Member

also, would a 2 inch vent be good for shower sink tiolet all the way to the roof or should i enlarge the vent to 3 ?
  5. Tricky Ricky

Tricky Ricky New Member

looking at it again...im going to run a 2 inch vent from the basement ..up three feet...over the bathroom which is about 6 ft..into the garage then up about 10 ft..then over about 3 ft and then up through the roof about 3 ft....does this meet venting codes and the horizontal allowences ?
  6. Terry

2" will vent a bathroom group assuming you have other vents in the system to make up for the exit sizing.

With a three bath home, I will use two 2" vents and one 1.5" vent. That's the same as a single 3"
  7. Tricky Ricky

Tricky Ricky New Member

the basment bathroom (shower, sink, toilet ) will have its own stack...2 inch through the roof of the garage..nothing else will be piped on it, does that meet code...or once im in the garage should i expand to 3 inch? Im not touching the exsisting stacks. they are to hard to get at without ripping walls apart and the wife would have my head...lol
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  8. Terry

In some cold areas, they will require upsizing the vent through the roof because of frost.

We don't do that in Seattle.
  9. Tricky Ricky

Tricky Ricky New Member

makes sense....thks for the answers
  10. Tricky Ricky

Tricky Ricky New Member

got one more quick question...in this pic...what kind of tee should go here... Untitled.jpg
  11. Terry

Since that is above the flood level and it's for the vent, a santee works.
  12. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You can use a san tee or a "vent tee", although a vent tee usually costs more. The vent through the garage roof has to be a minimum distance away from any second story windows.