Venting issue after new pump installed in ejector pit (with picture)!

Users who are viewing this thread

ohdannyboy72

Reaction score
In my basement utility room I have an ejector pit that handles discharge from a washer, water softener, laundry tub, and A/C condensate. It feeds into the the tail end of my overhead sewer line.

The cheapo 1/3 hp pump in the pit sucked up some dryer sheets that had fallen in and burned up the motor. Naturally, I bought a slightly more powerful 1/2 hp pump and it has worked swimmingly with one exception -- when the pump empties the pit, I get a loud momentary sucking sound through the traps in the kitchen sink upstairs. Venting issue?

I've included a picture of the drains assembled in this part of the house. The kitchen sink drains down into the same sewer line as the ejector pit. Coming down next to the kitchen drain is a capped-off 1.5 inch PVC pipe to nowhere. This has to be a vent of some kind.

Is there a way to use what I have pictured here to alleviate the sucking sound in the kitchen when the basement pump runs? I do not know if the sink is vented properly upstairs and whether that would change this symptom.

At some point I want to cover this pit. Does it need to be vented if it doesn't handle human waste?

mystery vent WITH ARROWS.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only thing that could cause a "sucking" sound in the kitchen sink would be a bad vent for the sink. cover the pit to keep dryer sheets out of it, but unless you seal the cover, it does not need a vent.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not the question you asked, but I suggest you get a loud alarm for if the pump fails or that GFCI trips.

If the sump has a spot for a vent, go ahead and hook it up to the "future" vent that is now capped off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks