Venting bathroom, am I wrong ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Randy227

Reaction score
My brother is doing a remodel, adding an apartment to an old house that has a shop attached. There are two existing bathrooms ( 1/2 bath in main house & same in shop ) . The stack is off the shop toilet which is farthest downstream, just before going into the septic. The other toilet is farther than 6' away from stack and has a 1 1/2" side outlet picking up the vanity drain & vent. It connects to a horizontal main drain ( all 3" ) . The new toilet will connect upstream of this one ( more than 8' from stack). Guy doing the plumbing is NOT a plumber and although painting ,tiling is almost complete, the plumbing rough in is not. He has holes in the floor for the new vanity & kitchen sink (about 30' away from all this !! ) with no provisions for venting ( Sorry -Traps ?? ). I raised concerns and apparently a plumber was brought in to inspect and gave it the okay.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No way to answer without actually seeing what you are trying to describe, and it might depend on what the final piping looks like, since he may not be done with it.

Randy227

Reaction score
UOTE="hj, post: 481743, member: 7"]No way to answer without actually seeing what you are trying to describe, and it might depend on what the final piping looks like, since he may not be done with it.[/QUOTE]
Ok

Randy227

Reaction score
Okay ...so the painting is done, floors are in. Still no drains or vents for kitchen, new vanity, & toilet. Just holes in the floor for sink & vanity ( not installed yet ) & toilet flange installed with no piping. He has a 1 1/2" vent pipe open to the basement, I'm guessing to pick up (vent ) the 3 fixtures. Anyway I have a couple of pictures I will

Randy227

Reaction score
I can't see the pictures i tried to post. Trying again

Attachments

• 20160321_130710.jpg
    20160321_130710.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 20160321_130733.jpg
    20160321_130733.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 180

Randy227

Reaction score
TE="Randy227, post: 482887, member: 73470"]I can't see the pictures i tried to post. Trying again[/QUOTE]
This

Randy227

Reaction score
This is how he vented the existing kitchen. 1 1/2" Pipe about 3 -4 ft off the ground !!

Randy227

Reaction score
[QUOT, post: 482911, member: 7"]that looks exactly like how a painter would do plumbing. NO "competent plumber would EVER say that was a proper ANYTHING, much less a vent.[/QUOTE]
The "plumb

Randy227

Reaction score
The "plumber " said that it wasn't right But close to code. Code should be minimal. He was talking about the other plumbing as well. As for this stupidity, he told him to turn the elbow up and increase to 3" !!
I am not a plumber but I do have block 2 in plumbing and a little experience. I will try to draw the mess he has done.

Randy227

Reaction score
What about creating "S" traps ?? I know you have no choice in an island but he had option of doing it right. ..In the wall.....but he's chosen to bring water lines & drainage up through the floor even though he has a common wall between the two bathrooms. Here's a look at the common wall from the" new" bathroom. He moved the vanity in the existing one & instead of continuing up with the vent, he goes horizontal ( below the fixture) and then down to the basement where he has a vent ran up to the stack & tied in above everything

Attachments

• 20160321_113015.jpg
    20160321_113015.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 20160321_113009.jpg
    20160321_113009.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 144
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks