Venting and existing drain connection concerns

Users who are viewing this thread

RSC

Reaction score
removed a 32x32 fiberglass shower,expanded another 1.5 feet ( I work as a mason when other work is slow) I planned on installing new trap 180 from existing shower trap and instating a mud pan liner.....tilting shower tile floor. Previous shower leaked.. Seems water ran down from p-trap area.
If not for the leak I would have only removed a small area behind toilet, but to explore source I removed most of the floor... House was buildt in 1984 and picture is of the plumbing .
Concerned about no sink vent which is above recipicating saw, it drains somewhere down line I imagine.
Also concerned about the whole shower drain set up connected to toilet without vent also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 461

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet should have gone into a wye fitting, not a san tee. On the horizontal like that, the waste tends to go both ways.
The lav needs a vent.

Some examples
dwv_b1.jpg

Last edited:

RSC

Reaction score
The toilet should have gone into a wye fitting, not a san tee. On the horizontal like that, the waste tends to go both ways.
The lav needs a vent.
At is what I thought. Where can I or should I connect the shower line... Was going to vent to attic and tie to existing vent
You cut the picture off so we cannot see the sink drain to tell if there is a vent or not.
The sink is not vented. One must be added.
I am concerned about the shower line going into the toilet and what to do about it.
Waste line continues trough the wall under the floor , it does not drop anywhere nearby

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The sink is not vented. One must be added.

Are you an expert in venting? Things CAN be vented but the neophyte would not recognize it. SHOW us a picture of the sink drain line. But, your shower is NOT vented.

RSC

Reaction score
quote; The sink is not vented. One must be added.

Are you an expert in venting? Things CAN be vented but the neophyte would not recognize it. SHOW us a picture of the sink drain line. But, your shower is NOT vented.
image.jpg
image.jpg

RSC

Reaction score
I could tell that.... I am not a plumber, I am in consruction and have seen many houses roughed in @ all stages and knew this wasn't correct. Buildt in 1983 completed in 1984.
I was hoping I was wrong and the shower line was ok.
I could add a wye for the toilet but hooking the shower up correctly bothers me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your sink is an S-trap. It needs to be vented before it turns down vertically.

On the shower, being a 2" pipe, you must attach your vent within 5' of the p-trap. You could run it over to the wall, then up. It must go at least 42" above the floor or 6" above the flood plane of the highest fixture, whichever is higher before it can go horizontal again. You could maybe run it up into the attic, then rejoin the existing vent line. The entire run needs to slope back towards the drain so that rain, snowmelt, or condensation can drain out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks