Venting a shower

Users who are viewing this thread

davidwie

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on venting a shower. In photo "IMG00009.jpg" you will see the horizontal drain line. The right vertical line is the vent stack. The left vertical is the drain for the sink. Is the shower already vented according to plumbing code or do I need to attach a vent closer to the shower drain?

In photo "IMG00007.jpg" you will see the sink venting. The towel is plugging a "T-fitting" that I was thinking of using for the shower vent if I needed it.

Also, what is the standard thickness I need for the sub-floor of the shower pan and the rest of the shower? Is 3/4" plywood enough? I will put mud down on top of that.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG00007.jpg
    IMG00007.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG00009.jpg
    IMG00009.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 816

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower is not vented.

You will need to add a wye with vent, and that can tie into the vent for the lav.
Normally you would raise the vent a little higher then the flow line of the pipe.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
O don't think the floor joists look wide enough to be able to get away with doing that Terry. I think I would tear it all out and wet vent the shower through the lav.

davidwie

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I posted a picture with the vent line and fittings drawn-in. Can you please confirm this is what you were referring to?

The vertical line connects to the same vent as the sink.

David

Attachments

• revised vent.jpg
    revised vent.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 561

davidwie

Reaction score
I definitely do not have enough room to put the wye fitting vertically onto the shower drain. I could put it horizontal with a slight up-angle towards the back wall. Is that not good enough?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
If the combination for the shower wasn't rolled up as it currently is then there would be enough elevation to properly vent it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks