Venting a shower trap arm, also 3" p trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lllammma

Reaction score
Hi there,
Quick question... Is this acceptable for a second floor bath? The vent will tie back into stack just before the stack exits the roof. In the first image, the WC faces left, the vent would go up the wall behind WC. Shower connects to WC line via a wye rolled 45 degrees.

Second question... If I needed more than 60" (I.e. increase the distance from toilet front to the shower), could I run a 3" line to the shower with a 3" p trap and a reducer in the top of the trap to bring it down to 2" for the drain connection? If so, is there a way to tie into the WC line or would each 3" line need it's own connection at the stack?

2015-12-28 23.03.26.jpg

2015-12-28 23.04.21.jpg

2015-12-28 23.03.26.jpg
2015-12-28 23.04.21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That works.
Most places want a combo or wye fitting for the vent on the 2" where it goes up the wall, in case someone decides to use that as a wet vent in the future.
You can get by without rolling the wye fitting on the 3", and the water closet bend can be a medium bend, or a closet bend. The long turn 90 is fine too.

Lllammma

Reaction score
Great thanks. If I use a wye on the vent and continue it as 2" up to a sani tee, can I use that for a washing machine drain? I was going to give the laundry a dedicated connection to the stack, but it's right next door so this would certainly simplify the design.

I forgot to mention, I'm trying to maximize WC distance from shower so I'm designing 59" from trap weir to the junction where the vertical vent meets the horizontal. If I'm reading correctly, the max is 60. The 59 is a safety net in case my measurement isn't perfect :)

Thanks for your help and also for the great history of posts that answer all those other questions that come up over time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the max length of the trap arm can vary based on what plumbing standard you are under. 60" on a 2" line works for all that I know of, though, some allow longer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks