Venting a basement bathroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm wet venting a basement bathroom off the lav, my intention was to bring it up to the attic and tie into the stack going out or vent it separately. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time getting upstairs, I tried following the chase where the 4" waste comes down but the chase was reduced and I can't get it up there. I'm in Massachusetts and automatic vents are prohibited. My question is how are the automatic vents, do they work, and what problems could you encounter if I decided to use them.

Plumguy

Reaction score
I'm also in MA and if you decide to use a provent just make sure you keep it accessible. If you got caught by an inspector then you would be forced to remove it and find a way to legally vent you're bath. A lot of times in this type scenario we go thru the back corners of closets and find a route.

In other parts of the country I see plumbers talk about Studor vents I guess they are legal and roof penetrations are not required. I think those vents would only be available around here thru mail order.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
Auto vents are good when you need to get out of a jam, my only issue? The noise! They can make quite a bit of noise when the air is drawn in, but that also let's you know it's working....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks