Venting a basement bathroom.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by canton, Aug 16, 2005.

1. canton

canton Plumber

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm wet venting a basement bathroom off the lav, my intention was to bring it up to the attic and tie into the stack going out or vent it separately. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time getting upstairs, I tried following the chase where the 4" waste comes down but the chase was reduced and I can't get it up there. I'm in Massachusetts and automatic vents are prohibited. My question is how are the automatic vents, do they work, and what problems could you encounter if I decided to use them.
  2. plumguy

plumguy New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    I'm also in MA and if you decide to use a provent just make sure you keep it accessible. If you got caught by an inspector then you would be forced to remove it and find a way to legally vent you're bath. A lot of times in this type scenario we go thru the back corners of closets and find a route.

In other parts of the country I see plumbers talk about Studor vents I guess they are legal and roof penetrations are not required. I think those vents would only be available around here thru mail order.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. joesloppy

joesloppy New Member

Aug 16, 2005
    CAD Tech.
    Sioux City, IA
  5. Kristi

Kristi Tradesman Plumber

Jan 27, 2005
    Tradesman Plumber
    Vancouver, BC
    Auto vents are good when you need to get out of a jam, my only issue? The noise! They can make quite a bit of noise when the air is drawn in, but that also let's you know it's working....