vent well to release sulfur gas

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by nepsa, Jan 18, 2014.

1. nepsa

nepsa New Member

had a new drilled well of 420 ft. After 6 months, i have a sulfur smell in water. I replaced the hot water tank and added a zinc anode rod. helped, but did not correct the problem all the way. I have a 1/2 plug on the well top that i can use to vent sulfur gas. first, will that help and if it will, what is the best vent for a 1/2 inch plug. I have seen pictures of some are straight up like a pencil and others have a bend at the top like the end of a walking cane. any suggestions. Also, i have a septic tank, so i understand shocking could be a issue.

thanks

nepsa
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

There is no reason to send it all to the septic tank. Also, raising the temperature of the HWT can help if it is just the hot water that smells.

Galvanized tanks with airmakers (snifter/bleeder/check) are often used to aerate smelly water.
  3. nepsa

nepsa New Member

Thanks, I am hoping that someone has some information on the best vent to use on 1/2 hole at the well.
  4. Smooky

Smooky Member

Here is a vent that is a section of pipe with slits in the side. It lets air in or out but does not let bugs get in.
    http://www.completeplumbingsource.com/american-grandby-vs50-1-2-plastic-well-vent

Here is a link to a well vent that is a section of pipe with two 90 degree bends. There is a screen over the end of the pipe.
    http://www.soil.ncsu.edu/publications/assist/farmassist/water/

I see both types of well vents. I do not think it makes a difference. If your well does not have a vent and there is a space for one, it will not hurt to add one. I do not think is will help much with venting the hydrogen sulfide gas in your well.
  5. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member