Vent Upstream from Fixture?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Raildog, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Raildog

Raildog New Member

Underground inspection was rejected today because vent for WC on horizontal branch was between fixture and main drain. I was required to move vent upstream from combo to the water closet. I read UPC code to say that vent should be downstream from fixture. Am I missing something?
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Where exactly was the vent? How many feet from the WC? Were there any other fixtures in your setup? Just trying to fully understand what you had and exactly where he wanted the vent.
  3. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Pictures are good and helpful
  4. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

5 words covered my 3 questions and 1 statement. :D
  5. Raildog

Raildog New Member

Wish i had pic's. The original vent was 4x2 combo on its back 2or 3 inches downstream of WC combo. Moved just upstream. the next fixture is another 4x2 combo going to shower, it is revented near trap. Next is floor drain 15 feet away and is on 3" pipe and trap. He ok'd everything else but wanted vent moved. Thanks for help!
  6. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Common practice with most codes is to have the fixture wash the vent, so if your vent was downstream of the toilet I don't know why it was regected unless something else was wrong. :confused:
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

Upstream or downstream could change definitions depending on the actual circumstances. We would need a picture or other visual to be sure we are interpreting what you describe accurately.