Vent stack question

Users who are viewing this thread

drew53813

Reaction score
Soon I will be remodeling my 2 bathrooms. They are back to back style bathrooms, and currently have 1- 3" vent and 1- 1.5" vent. In the front bathroom I will have one whirlpool bathtub, one sink, and one toilet. In the back I will have a shower, two sinks, and one toilet. Everything will be the same with the addition of one new sink. I plan to relocate some of the fixtures. My question is: Can I tie all of these vents i.e. shower, tub, sinks into the main 3" stack or should I keep the 1-1.5" stack and tie the sinks/shower into that line? Thanks- Andrew

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The vents can tie in at 42" above the floor or higher.
A 1.5" trap arm go go 42" before it's vented.
A 2.0" trap can go 60" before it's vented.
This will determine where the vents need to be placed. If some fixtures are on a seperate wall, it may be that you will need a vent there. Once the vents are in the attic, you can then tie the 1.5" to the 3", or let them go out the roof individually.

drew53813

Reaction score
The vents can tie in at 42" above the floor or higher.
A 1.5" trap arm go go 42" before it's vented.
A 2.0" trap can go 60" before it's vented.
This will determine where the vents need to be placed. If some fixtures are on a seperate wall, it may be that you will need a vent there. Once the vents are in the attic, you can then tie the 1.5" to the 3", or let them go out the roof individually.
Thanks for the advice Terry. The distances you provided; are those from the vertical vent run into the attic to the 3 inch soil stack or from the trap arm itself located by the fixture. Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv_b2.jpg

Those are trap arm distances.

drew53813

Reaction score
Terry- Thanks for the image. Do you have the capabilities of circling where those distances start to the main soil stack? Thanks- Andrew

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Once the vents are in the attic, you can then tie the 1.5" to the 3", or let them go out the roof individually.

Distance in the attic above the flood level is pretty much whatever you want to do.
The only stipulation is that the horizontal can only be 1/3 what the vertical is. If you want to install more than 1/3, it needs to be bumped up one pipe size.

drew53813

Reaction score
Is it safe to say if I run the toilets and a bathtub on one three inch stack and 3 sinks and one shower on 1-1/2 vent I am good to go?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks