Vent rerouting

Users who are viewing this thread

Lobelia

Reaction score
Before having my roof replaced, I would like to address what I've learned is a code violation. A vertical vent line exits an outside wall, passes horizontally beyond the eave and runs vertically, as illustrated in my crude drawing. The vent is within 10 feet of the nearby window and down slope of the wall with the window. Where should the vent penetrate the roof? I assume some obstruction in the wall resulted in this configuration. Could I send the vent through the roof outside the wall, i.e., through the eave? Thanks for your help.

Wind015.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It can pennatrate the roof anywhere that's not too close to a vertical wall or a window. Right near the eave is fine. The closer to the peak the better in my opinion, this will result in less water running over the top of it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
could you state the code violation? somewhere in 903 I guess. I suppose since its not going through the roof the arguent is its not above the roof as well. so pop through roof where ever you like. we run straight up out side walls with vent through the roof all the time . but john has a valid point less water around the pipe higher up the roof

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks