Vent requirement for basement floor drain (Canada)

Users who are viewing this thread

grahamW

Reaction score
I'm contemplating my options for locating a 2" vent in my basement which will serve my relocated laundry and floor drain. I was talking with a fellow at the local (independent) plumbing store and he advised that, in Canada, a floor drain does not need to be vented if it is minimun 3" in size, and the trap arm (pipe from the main drain to the trap) is a minimum of 16" long, maximum 12 feet with 1/4" per foot grade on it. Can anyone here confirm this? For what it is worth, my current basement floor drain isn't vented.

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
you don't need to vent the floor drain provided:
it is not less than 3"
length of fixture drain (trap arm) is not less than 18"
the fall does not exceed the size of pipe (3" fall for 3" pipe)
it is connected to horizontal drain that terminates at its upstream end in a 3" stack

jpb123

Reaction score
you don't need to vent the floor drain provided:
it is not less than 3"
length of fixture drain (trap arm) is not less than 18"
the fall does not exceed the size of pipe (3" fall for 3" pipe)
it is connected to horizontal drain that terminates at its upstream end in a 3" stack

Can the trap arm be less than 18" if it is within a certain distance of a stack or vent?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks