Vent problem with pic

Users who are viewing this thread

zerolast

Reaction score
Pulled out shower and tub. The original vent came up at a 45 degree angle at the main T joint where the shower (right) and tub (left) split off. I want to install a larger shower so I laid the T joint flat and wanted to see if this is ok for venting the pipe (top)...it is almost horizontal.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20150712_162742_resized.jpg
    20150712_162742_resized.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 275

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You can, as a broad sweeping generalization, flat-vent a shower and tub where the conditions make a vertical vent impossible, but not how you have done it. Do what Sjsmithjr suggests. And remember that just because it all connects together doesn't mean it's going to work. As a practical matter, ask yourself: where is the water from each thing going to run and how are the fittings that I am using going to direct the water and to where, and how am I providing air reliably to keep the traps from siphoning, and how am I keeping stuff from clogging the vent system? You're going to get closer to Code as you think about these things that way. For example, that's why the code isn't going to permit that San-T to be used like that.

zerolast

Reaction score
If I'm reading the vent guide correctly, I can have a flat T where the shower and tub offshoot and then have a flat-"ish" vent pipe between the T and the shower trap? Would I need a vent for the tub as well? TIA.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would use two wyes or at least a double wye fitting.
I like two wyes because I can give them the tilt for grade.

The lav will wet vent if it's run with 2".
It should have a long turn 90 where it goes up the wall, and a cleanout.

zerolast

Reaction score
I would use two wyes or at least a double wye fitting.
I like two wyes because I can give them the tilt for grade.

The lav will wet vent if it's run with 2".
It should have a long turn 90 where it goes up the wall, and a cleanout.

Please see my crude drawing...will that work? Hopefully I'm following your advice correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20150716_153525.jpg
    20150716_153525.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks