vent pipe with off set design - permitted?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by lhoward145, Jan 15, 2008.

1. lhoward145

lhoward145 New Member

Remodeling our master bath. The main vent pipe goes straight up thru an interior wall section that I wish to remove to about 24" off the floor. Installing a ceramic shower in place of fiberglass unit.

Question: Can I bring the stack up about 12" off the floor, angle it over to the outside wall, enter the attic, and then angle it back to intersect with the section that goes thru the roof? This will allow the end of the shower, above the 24" stub wall, to be clear glass for the new shower.

Thanks.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

From a practical view, it makes cleaning out the vent very difficult. The horizontal sections need slope so any condensation, snow melt, rain, etc., can drain and not clog. There's a maximum horizontal to vertical ratio. The air itself, doesn't care. Wait for one of the pros for their take on the specifics.
  3. orbea1

orbea1 New Member

I'm looking to do the same thing in my bathroom. My local code follws the Interantion Plumbers Code. IPC allows a horizontal offset as long as it 6 inches above the flood level of the highest fixture. No other drains are allowed above the offset.