Vent Pipe/Soil Stack Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

reneedesr

Reaction score
Can Soil Stack Leak?

I have a single-story ranch house with a leak in bathroom, above tub. Hoping someone can help.

Toilet and bathtub are on same side of bathroom (tub only, no shower) separated by floor-ceiling wall.
A cast-iron soil stack comes straight down from the roof above the center of the tub and makes first 90 degree turn parallel to tub toward floor-ceiling wall.

The leak is at a second fitting, when pipe makes a second 90 degree turn down floor-ceiling wall.

With the snow, I haven't been able to check roof from the outside. Opened ceiling/went up into the attic and noticed the following:
  • Checked pipe every day for 4 days, always wet at fitting.
  • Leak is only 1-2 drops at a time. Bathroom ceiling damage is old and about 2’ diameter. (Just bought home so don’t know how long it’s been leaking).
  • Outside of pipe is dry, except at fitting.
  • From inside of the attic, roof is ok, no water damage.
  • Followed vent pipe to basement; no visible signs of water traveling that far
Went to DIY shop and asked for advice. They mentioned it was likely a loose pipe and to tap back into place . Have done that and leak seems to have stopped, but just not comfortable closing hole back up, without knowing why the leak happened or if that was the actual fix.

Attached photo is at location of leak (now-dry), looking up from the tub.

-What is causing the leak?
-What else should I check?
-What should I do to fix?

Attachments

• Pipe2.jpg
    Pipe2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,937
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks